Update:


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
August 9th 2010
Published: August 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone!

I hope you are all well.

Sorry for the delay in updating my blog. I was unable to access the internet in Rwanda.

Well where to begin.

I was unsure as to what to expect of my visit to Rwanda but I can safely say the country astounded me!

16 years after the genocide communities are being mobilized by local churches to pull together to learn to help their economic situation instead of being dependent on hand outs and foreign aid.

Samaritans Purse has been working hard with local partners to mobilize local churches into true Christian outreach ministry. Saving groups have been established in many of the local churches. These groups consist of approximately 10 people who agree upon an amount of money to save each week. A proportion of this money is set aside as interest which is put back into a central kitty. After a significant amount of money has been saved by the group and following financial and business management training that is provided by Samaritans Purse and their local partners the outstanding amount is, in general, then used to help the savings group establish a small business. If the savings group saves a significant amount it has also been known for churches to offer small loans in order that they can set up a successful small business.

From the profits of this business small loans can be given to members of the savings groups in order that
they themselves can establish their own small business. For example I met a group who had a shop that sold flour, sugar, beans, eggs and wheat. From the profits of that business one man had managed to set up his own tailoring business.

This may sound really confusing but it works in practice! The way they structure themselves may vary with some electing a secretary, treasurer etc, and some may save more per week than others depending on the members economic circumstances but they really are wonderful.

They are based upon an holistic approach to development whereby the groups, often in correlation to church cell groups, offer not only material support but also physical, emotional and spiritual. For example, in situations whereby one member is disabled or suffering from an illness other members of the group often take care of their children, cook for them, or just go and visit an pray for them.

What amazed me most is that in some groups there are both the perpetrators and victims of the genocide. With the grace of God true reconciliation is taking place!

There is lots more to tell you all but I only have limited time in the small internet cafe I have just found.
So for now all I will say is that I arrived safely in Nairobi last night and have just got back from visiting Kibera slum - thought to now be the largest slum in Africa. It broke my heart to see the scale of the desperate poverty that the people of Kibera are living in but I look forward to getting alongside the local communities this week to learn from, support and work with them. We will also be working in two other large slums in Nairobi.

So I will leave it here for now but I will hopefully update you all very soon.

Please continue to pray for reconciliation in Rwanda and for future developments and outcomes following today's election.

Also pray for the people of Nairobi. May God bless them and help us to guide us and equip us to be his hands and his feet for the next 8 days.

Godbless you all

Steph xxx





Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb