David Seldrik Trust The Giraffe Sanctuary


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
November 8th 2008
Published: January 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We decamped & left Nanyuki at 6am, it was still dark & I was reading "the Snows of Kilimanjaro" with my headlamp to pass the time. We stopped at a shop on the Equator for lunch. We arrived at the David Seldrick Trust in Nairobi just in time to see the orphaned baby Elephants stampede towards their bottles of milk, yes they were cute.
They had 2 blind Rhinos here also we stayed about 1.5hrs & took lots of pics.
Then we drove a short distance to the Giraffe Sanctuary. This was great fun, we were on a raised balcony feeding the animals. I enjoyed a french kiss with a giraffe whilst trying to feed it with a food pellet from my lips. Apparently their saliva has antiseptic qualities to neutralise the toxic acacia leaves they eat. There was some Warthogs in the pen with the Giraffes.

Afterwards we drove a camping site in the city but everyone upgraded to a shared room. That night we all drank some punch in advance of our big beal at the Carnivores Restaurant, which is one of the top 50 restuarants in the world. We hired a funky Matatu to take us there, it was pimped out with blacked out windows, airbrush painted murals & flashing lights inside in sync with the rap music which blared out of the sound boxes.

The meal turned into an epic 4.5hr eating contest. Game meat is illegal now in Kenya so ther was no Springbok or Zebra on the menu. The meat on the menu that night was crocodile, ostrich, turkey, roast beef, roast lamb, lamb & pork chops,roast pork, pork spare ribs, goat, chicken gizarsd, wings & on skewers, beef & pork sausages, ostrich meatballs etc. The best meat was the ostrich, the crocodile was a little chewy. It cost $25 a head, drinks not included, basically all you can eat meat, they just kept coming to carve more meat until the little flag at our table was put down. It was a good night, the drive back to our rooms in the musical matatu was the most fun.

Next morning made the short journey to the Heron Court Hotel to pick 10 new people, evry seat on the truck was now occupied. There was no more stretching out on a empty seat. At least there was 2 Irish & 2 French to interact with. We took the A104 road to the Namanga border crossing with Tanzania. The visa for Irish nationals was $100 ouch!! I noticed that the dwellings seemed poorer once we had crossed the border. We stopped in Arusha to convert money to Tanzanian shillings, then preceeded to Meserani Snake Park camp 25kms away on the road to Ngorongoro Crater.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Giraffe SanctuaryGiraffe Sanctuary
Giraffe Sanctuary

Penny, Dave & Cynthia
2008 113003452008 11300345
2008 11300345

Mel has 2 new friends


Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 14; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1132s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb