The world is such a wonderful place


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana
October 17th 2008
Published: October 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, how time is flying!
Back to some stories of last weekend. In between going to the football game our group stayed at this place called the Hideaway Lodge, anddddd man was it hidden, actually. It was miles away from town on bumpy dirt roads and right on the ocean. The water was perfectly clean and rock free with the exception of one giant rock perfectly placed by the water's edge, perfect for climbing up and watching the waves hit and the night sky. We stayed the first night split up in little tree houses, and the second night all in one giant room, both with thatch roofs, of course. The place was owned by a Swedish woman named Tes who is probably in her late 20s, and is run with the help of many Ghanaian men. Tes had an adorable son, half Swedish, half Ghanaian who was five years old and absolutely adorable. He stayed up late with us dancing around the fire, and digging in the sand. What made the place especially hilarious was a rasta who lived there by the name of Zion (not to be confused with his brother, Lion!) The man's vocabulary consisted of mainly three words, the first being "Seriousssssss," and the second and third being, "why not?" Of course, he also incorporated the words "rastafiri," and "yeahhhh seriousssss" into his daily conversations as well. He had a compound close by that reminded me exactly of the perfect outdoor fort that I was always trying to build as a kid, trees, flowers, rock paths, hammocks, hand built tables, bamboo fence, and a simple house build from materials around the land. Inside his house was a bed, sewing machine where he made all his clothes, and his kitchen, where he prepared coffee and pancakes for us both mornings! (regular or "spiritual pancakes" depending on your preference of course.) The time we spent there was full of good swimming, cheap drinks, good health, and lots of "serioussss" relaxing. This story will not be as fun in telling, but at one point, a girl was taking a picture with Zion and the picture taker instructed them to "say cheese." The girl says cheese, right as Zion exclaims....what else? "seriousssssss." That one moment, I think, sums up the entire weekend. I talked to a lot of really interesting people on tro tros this weekend as well, and this week have gone on some absolutely fantastic mid day runs. I am always kept company by the random child, security guard or random person who joins me on my run for about an 1/8 of a mile until they tire out haha.

I am feeling perfectly healthy although two people in my group have gotten malaria this week...both seem to be getting better.

love love love
Kristin


Advertisement



17th October 2008

Sounds like you are back to being healthy and having some great adventures. You give such great discriptions...I can imagine just how beautiful it is. So, what are spiritual pancakes? Lion and Zion...remember those names when you have your first child! This sounds so peaceful compared to an overstuffed enclosed stadium with thousands of out of control people!!!! Stay healthy!
18th October 2008

so just when it seems like the entire blog is safe and fun (including the "spiritual pancakes"... do you think nanny has the recipe for those) you go and scare your mother with malaria stories. lion and zion and oceans and thatched roofs. sounds like a great weekend. glad to hear you are feeling fine, and i'm currently spending the weekend with renee, daniel, sherry, and nanny. cows, hayrides, and pumpkins so far :)

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb