The adventures of students other than me...


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana
October 7th 2008
Published: October 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

well hello again! i wish i could say that I had many interesting and enlightening travel experiences to impart to you all, but, as I have been focusing on my health and healing, I have done very little in the past few days (with the exception of going to the Accra mall and studying Twi with espresso!!!) (and buying spinch and eggplant at a grocery store to cook with). So, that being the case, I will update you with stories of what other international students have been doing as I have been healing.

First, there is a girl in our group, Holly, who is from Utah and is super into biology/medicine/all the things that make me light headed, haha. and she looooves children, among her other wonderful qualties. anyway, there are three young children who live in the night market who are from the nortern region of ghana. they live with their great aunt, and their mother is not around for whatever reason. these adorable kids have taken a liking to Holly. anyway, one of the boys, I had noticed (after I had picked him up and was touching his head) seemed to be growing mold on a section of his head. I, having no idea what that meant did nothing; Holly asked permission to take him to a clinic where he was diagnosed with a bacterial infection that is treateable, but was dangerously close to attacking his lymph nodes. She paid for his clinic visit and his medications and is admisistering his antibiotic. wow!

Groups of students have been going to Togo reciently because our visas are about to expire, and if you travel out of the country they are renewed for free, whereas I will have to pay for an extension because I was not able to travel this past weekend. Anyway, apparantly, Togo is wonderful and laid back and clean, and has better food....once you get past the border. I know a guy here who was told by the stoic immigration officer three times, "I am going to kill you." Another group of students had to wait at the border for hours until they bribed the officer to give them visas, and another student had their passport stolen from out of her room at night (came through the window) so she is stranded in Togo for a weeks until she can get a new passport! Even with all those troubles, students keep saying how Togo has been their favorite destination so far. So, who knows, eventually, I may have to carefully make my way over there.

It seems this week there is a World Cup qualifying match north of Cape Coast, so maybe I will travel in that direction this weekend.

Thanks for all the messages still. It is wonderful to get on line and see them.

love love love
Kristin

Advertisement



7th October 2008

Kristin, staying put for a while sounds like a good idea. How are you cooking? Do you have access to a stove? Any chance you could take one of those kids home??? I know a little boy who really really would love to have a brother! Pauline is going to Nigeria next Thursday. If you remember, she and her husband adopted a little girl from Nigeria. Chinanza qill be 5 in March. They have adopted two more...a little girl and a little boy. They are weeks old and in the custody of her sister right now. Pauline will go and complete papers, but won't be able to leave with the babies. She will go back and pick them up in December and they will come home. Togo is probably wonderful, but the trip sounds a little scary. Always bring bribes. I have a friend from India and says that you can get anywhere in India with little effort and copies of Playboy!!! Are you feeling like yourself now...completely? Stay healthy and safe!
7th October 2008

fristin!!
my dear sweet niece... if you want to travel to Togo and not scare the pants off of your parents, perhaps you should downplay the dangers of its people :) so glad to hear that you are feeling better. steelers are winners and thank goodness they have a bye week b/c i'm pretty sure ben's arm is hurting!! also kendall has developed and perfected 3 different styles of walking depending, i suppose, on her mood and the message she wants to relay to those around her. april and the gang.
8th October 2008

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What do your mean, make your way carefully there! Are you nuts? How long is that girl stranded there - and where is she and what is she doing while she's there? The border sounds pleasant too. What exactly was so great about Togo????? Please give an update on the Togo situation. Love, Mom

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb