Getting to Ghana


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Western » Sekondi-Takoradi
June 28th 2011
Published: July 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Started out from Cratloe at 5.45am for our 7.30am flight to London Heathrow from Shannon Airport. Made it from Terminal 1 to Terminal 4 in record time before boarding KLM1010 to Amsterdam. Delay in take-off meant we were in danger of missing our connecting flight to Accra but thankfully after sprinting through Schiphol Airport we made it! Potential crises number 1 averted. Another delay because of baggage transfer and we were on our way to Africa! Initially quite daunted by being the minority race on the plane but this was nothing in comparrison to our arrival at Accra. After waiting over an hour in the sweltering heat to get through Customs, we couldn't locate our baggage. Horrors. Turns out some wally had taken it off the carousel and abandoned it in the middle of the arrivals hall. Potential crises number 2 averted. We nearly effing lost our lives walking through customs with the amount of new stuff we were bringing into the country-iPhone4, iPad, books, Nespresso, clothes-you name it, we had it. Potential crises number 3 was averted when we sailed through without being searched as the customs man had a good giggle at our names and welcomed us heartily to Ghana. The airport to hotel transfer man greeted us among at least one hundred other taxi drivers, each vying for our custom and offering great rates but actually looking to rip us off big time-nothing new there then! Got to the Afia African Beach Resort which is seemingly quite famous-unfortunately it was dark and late so we didn't get to enjoy it's fine dining, late bar, tennis courts or beach views. The final leg of our journey begins tomorrow with a taxi ride from Accra to Takoradi with Richard the reliable taxi man!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb