THE Beach/Lobster man


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Western » Sekondi-Takoradi
September 30th 2008
Published: September 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey guys!

I'm getting pretty good at this blog malarky!We have the day off school today because of Eid Al-Fitr (end of muslim fasting) so I thought I would update you all!So.....what have I been up to you may ask?

Well!After the last entry we were pretty much just sitting around observing classes and waiting for Roy and Danielle (2 of the other volunteers) to get to our school on Friday before we headed off to Butre beach the next day. School was pretty quiet cause they never do anything on a Friday then things took a slightly bizzare twist!After my power nap (such a hard life eh!) I went outside to see 40 schoolchildren cutting the grass...with machetes!then there was a massive commotion and all these kids started running around machetes above they're heads. Turns out that they had seen soe sort of bushmeat and were trying to kill it so that they could roast it on the fire. I don't know if its just me but that sort of thing just didn't happen at the Academy! I'm pretty used to seeing it now though, everyone has a machete here its a bit like wearing a watch or
ButreButreButre

This is Butre village and beach from the top of the hill we had to trek over to get there, pretty mint!
carrying a wallet, standard issue!

Anyhoo, we ended up going out on the Friday night to the local spot bar where it was just the 4 of us and a herd of goats as customers...pretty surreal again!then we went home and drank a bottle of 2.50 vodka and got smashed!Here's a word of warning to you all, hangovers in Africa are horrible!Hasn't stopped me doing it again though.

On Saturday we had our first weekend away and the only word to describe it is WOW!If you ever happen to be in Ghana go to hideout lodge on Butre beach. Unspoiled sandy beaches fringed with palm trees, amazing accomodation for 2.50 a night!, cheapo beer and a village full of rastas!it was immense!

We started off a Busua beach which is described as the nicest beach in Ghana and we were all well impressed, but then we hiked for about 4km through the rainforest to Butre and well totally blown away!Hardly anyone goes there because Busua is right next door but this place was just unbelievable!as you get to the top of the hill overlooking the village there's reggae music blaring out of the town and the view is unbelievable. It was described in the guide book as having a "rasta vibe", pretty much hit the nail on the head!the lodge was covered in Bob Marley murals and Jamaican paintings and the resident rasta "Zion" is there all the time just rapping away and telling everyone Rastafari stories that make no sense at all!

Needless to say on Sunday I got sunburnt a little...sorry mum. We headed out on a canoe trip up the river at 7am (this was not fun after a night pounding back the drinks) to go see monkeys and hopefully crocodiles, no joy on the last one but we did see monkeys, hawks and massive lizard things. Was pretty cool!the rest of the day was spent in the sea getting hammered by waves, in the sun, in Africa, and not Britain............

All in all the weekend came to a grand total of 20 quid!put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Started teaching yesterday which was interesting...had a double period of business management which was ok cause I know it like the back of my hand but I worry whether the message is getting across alright. You can tell the kids
The groupThe groupThe group

pretty smashed by this point
a piece of information and ask if they understand it and they'll say "yes sir" and then when you ask them a question about it they can't answer it, more than infuriating!it's cool how everyone is really polite here but sometimes it's just a bit much!Cost accounts will be interesting tomorrow....and by that I mean a chore!

Not sure what shenanigans I'll be getting up to this weekend, we've been invited to go out clubbing in Takoradi which should be ace!either that or the beach again.....somebody has to do it!

Love,

Ekow


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The Honeymoon SuiteThe Honeymoon Suite
The Honeymoon Suite

2.50 a night?! mint!


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb