Day Forty-Seven; Monday, April 21 '08


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Volta » Ho
April 21st 2008
Published: April 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Woke up and headed to the orphanage. The building was not yet complete so that was a little bit of a bummer. I tried to teach my class how to play Uno which was a bust. They honestly cannot follow any kind of direction.

When we got home from Christ John, Emily, Jackie, Diana, and I headed to the tro-tro station to make a 600 km, one day excursion to Accra. Why would one go to Accra, a four hour drive, for a single day you may ask? TO GET A CHEESEBURGER!!! We've been planning a day trip to Frankie's American Restaurant since last week, so we piled into a public tro-tro and 3.5 hours later (we made REALLY good time,) we were in Accra.

We first went to Accra Mall. Two words: SCARY and OVERWHELMING. It was like being back in the U.S. I hated it, however, there were a few highlights. We went grocery shopping which felt like home, but I was constantly reminded I was still in Ghana when the power continually went out every few minutes. After purchasing a total of 15 bottles of wine we were on our way to Frankies. We hopped into a Golden cab which are really nice taxis. We haggled the price down only one cedi as he consistently reminded us of the AC available in his "luxury" cab. The second we got in to the cab he cranked open the windows and I yelled at him to blast the AC. He responded that when you pay $8.00, you get AC but if you pay $7.00 you don't. We complained and he eventually did give in. At Frankies I split a large pizza and a cheeseburger with Diana and had a Diet Coke and a milkshake.

We headed back to the tro-tro station and arrived home at 12:30 am. Two words: WORTH IT. That will be all.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0788s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb