The farm in Tamale...


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Northern » Tamale
October 27th 2006
Published: October 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

All of you who know Marc and huw will find the following entry entirely in keeping with their characters. Neewdless to say they are both having the time of their lives and enjoying a certain freedom and independence.
Last week they deicded that they would truly embrace a Ghanaian lifestyle and have themselves a little livestock. Luckily they did stop short of buying a few sheep or goats but that is obviously what they would have liked to purchase. luckily mother and fathers displeasure was noted enough and so the livestock was initially confined to one rather pathetic looking hen. It was bought home on the bike and tied with a piece of string around its leg and attached to a tree in the garden. It appeared happy enough scratching around and enjoying its own freedom. The boys worried that it would get lonely at first I agreed it might but realising where this might lead I did a very quick backtrack and insisted that of course chooks do not get lonely. Unfortunately the damage was already done....
On a supposed trip to fatimatas shop to get suppllies they sneaked off to the chicken seller on the side of the road and purchased a second pathetic looking chook.
These chooks have been cared for lovingly and of course you will already have realised that the flock has increased, we are now the proud owners of no less than 4 little chooks. They are cared for very well and are already growing.
in the first day one of the chooks escaped from his string and there was enormous concern. It was quite amusing sitting on the back step doing the washing and watching Sian, Huw and Marc trying to catch the chook. I was having rather a fun time watching when little Mohammed wandered into the yard, I asked him if he would like to help and within 2 minutes he had the offending chook in his hands. This is a trick the boys have capitalised on and for entertainments sake will have the children catch the chooks for fun. they are really amazing the way they dart around and then all of a sudden just leap at the chook and somehow manage to capture it without any damage to the poor creature, which can not be said when my children are trying to do the catching.
The grand plan is to get the chooks nice and fat and then slaughter and eat them before we leave. I will be very interested to see what happens. I will be surprised if we eat any of them, I am not keen anyway, i blame you of course mum...
We are settled in to our work routine and Fridays are a day we enjoy being together, coming in to town to do our weekend shoppping and buy a few treats. We also try to have lunch out together at a little chop bar that we have nicknamed, egg and bread. The food never varies but we have never been sick and the portions are great, even Marc is usually satisfied, that is of course after he has hoovered up everyones leftovers.
We are haivng two Austrian nurses for supper this evening. they are staying with a host family and are yearning for a real shower and some non ghanaian food. that sounds a little ungreatful but eating Ghan food every day is quite hard.
So we are now off to shop and lunch. Take care all of you.
The world ios such a marvellous place, not always nice and never perfect but absolutely wonderful.

Advertisement



30th October 2006

you said it all
The world ios such a marvellous place, not always nice and never perfect but absolutely wonderful. Not quite spelt right, but you said it all. Love David.

Tot: 0.307s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb