A chilled Saturday


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Greater Accra » Teshie
August 3rd 2013
Published: August 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Last night at the bar was so fun! We had only intended to go for one drink, maybe half an hour, but we ended up staying 3 hours. In the end, there were quite a few of us - Me, Laura, Steffi, Sammy, Raisa and Mathias. And Sonja joined us later. We left from the house, and two of the dogs followed us out the gate (Bobby and Peace). They walked with us all the way to the bar, kind of protecting us and making sure we were ok, which was pretty cool. Especially seeing as Peace doesn't seem to like us all that much!



It was fairly bizarre. Looking around where I live, there is poverty. Not by Ghanaian standards, but by Western standards. People carve out a living by selling things from the front of their houses, which are tiny. They don't have much. The roads are dry and dusty. Only the rich own cars. Yet you go to this bar, and it's like being transported to the bright lights of a city. The bar is on the first floor. It's kind of a Hawaiian theme if I have to liken it to something. A corrugated tin roof, held up with tree trunks and bamboo style decor. Lots of flashing lights and neon drinks signs. An amazingly well stocked bar, with a bigger choice of drinks than I have seen in the majority of British bars.



We bought drinks (the shots of Malibu were very generous, and a Malibu and coke cost 6 cedis, which is about £2) and I bought a packet of cigarettes, seeing as you can smoke in the bar (which makes it even more confusing that you can't smoke in public). Great music (a lot of dancehall reggae and Jamaican influence) as well as some of the old favourites by Beyonce, Black Eyed Peas and Rihanna. Mathias did his usual crazy dancing and we all just had so much fun! Absolutely brilliant. The only downside was the nasty toilets - I guess there is a first time for everything, but I really didn't appreciate having to throw up at the same time as peeing - but I was heaving from the moment I walked into that horrible bathroom *shudder*. Nasty.



Today has just been a chilled day so far. Earlier, Ryan, Shauna, Laura, Mathias and I played catch with the rugby ball again, making silly noises everytime we launched it. Sometimes, the simple things are fun. Mavis made the nicest dinner - it was yam, peppers, onions and carrots in a kind of dry stew, coated in a spice of some sorts.



This evening, we went to Brigade. Jamal was taking the new bunch of Spaniards down there to get their money changed, so Ryan, Shauna and I hopped in (yes, 8 of us plus Jamal squished into the car). I got some Ghanaian chocolate to bring home (you'd better hope you're not one of the "lucky" ones I subject to it!) and a pineapple. The fruit here is so much nicer than at home!



We got home to a strong smell of poo in the lounge. We thought the dogs had made a mess, so we went round the room hunting. But we couldn't find the phantom poo anywhere! What we did find, however, was a dead lizard, that smelled SO disgusting, I thought that I was going to be sick. FYI, a dead lizard smells like the stinkiest feet you have ever smelled in your life, mixed with poo. Urgh.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb