Who's who in the house


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Greater Accra » Teshie
August 3rd 2013
Published: August 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

I really don't want to forget the amazing people I have met here, so I thought I'd take some time to write a little bit about all the amazing people I have met here 😊

Linnea - One of the first people I met - she took me under her wing and showed me around, taking me down to Brigade to get my money changed and showed me where the shops were. She is from Sweden and is a blonde girl with a big smile. She also taught me how to banter and haggle with the taxi drivers to get a decent fare. She travelled on to Kenya after I'd been here less than a week though, sadly.



Ryan - One of the longer term volunteers. She is 21 and from Texas in the USA. She returned to the house after I'd been here 10 days or so, after being up North. Ryan is quiet but really nice, and is doing a lot of fundraising for the kids here. She is amazing at art.



Freya - She is from Essex in England. She's only 18 but has her head screwed on. She is super laid back, but very proactive, always going and buying stationery for the kids to work with, and planning activities for them to do, putting a lot of thought in.



Gorka - Gorka is 31 and from Spain. He is training to be a primary school teacherback in Spain and is really great with the kids. They love him.



Steffi - She is 19 and from Austria. I love Steffi - she is good fun and easy to just wander around with. She makes me laugh with her little English-isms. She is blonde and when I first met her, she had her hair in braids. Steffi teaches at the same school I do. I like her because she's blunt in her speaking style, and it makes me smile.



Sonja - she is Steffi's friend from back home in Austria. Sonja spends most of her time at the orphanage. She is dark-haired and easy to get on with.



Mathias - He is 24 or so, a blonde guy from Denmark. He smiles and laughs at everything, even when the dogs have crapped everywhere. He just makes me laugh as he is so funny. He loves to do crazy dancing, and goes on early morning walks on his own in his hat. He is super smart and studying the sciences.



Shauna - she is about 25 and is from Northern Ireland. She has blonde hair which is shaved at the back, and tattoos. She has a wicked sense of humour and when she starts laughing, she doesn't stop. You can usually find her in the lounge watching movies when she's not at the orphanage.



Sammy - 25 years old and from The Gambia. He is a tall, gentle black guy who speaks with the most relaxed, lilting voice. He is one of the nicest guys ever and very laid back. You know he'll always look out for you and if you're out at night, he'll make sure you get home safely. He has family connections in Ghana so we go to Sammy is we have any questions. He is here because he wants to open his own charity in Togo, Ghana and The Gambia, so he's learning from Jamal.



Lauren - she is going into her second year of uni back in the UK. I met Lauren online before I came out here, so it was really nice to know somebody here already. She is quite tall and pretty, with dark hair and bright blue eyes. Genuinely just a really nice girl.



Robbie - he is also from England and is going into his final year of uni, studying Sport. He's been coaching the football team here. Robbie is your typical sports lad, tall, good looking and likes the ladies! He is a really nice guy and is a lot of fun.



Marta- she is from Spain originally but has been studying in the UK for her PhD. She's super smart and really chatty, very good at organising and has her head screwed on.



Ewa - originally from Poland but studying for her PhD in the UK with Marta. I don't know her that well as she hasn't been here very long and is in one of the other bedrooms. But she seems really nice and friendly.



Laura - She's 22 and from Madrid in Spain. She's brilliant! She is one of my smoking buddies and is such a nice person, very funny and happy. She is really good at English and loves whenI correct her on something as she wants to get better. Laura laughs a lot, and makes the people who are around her, happy. She is good at helping me with my Spanish.



Peter - he is mid twenties and studying in the UK to be a teacher. I don't know him that well as he's quite new.



Kat - she is 31 and English, but she now lives in Ireland. She is super chatty and funny, and always has a good story to tell. She is really easy to get on with and you hang out with her for 5 minutes and feel like you've known her forever.



Aiala - She is 29 (I think) and from Spain. She is one of Gorka's friends from Primary School. She is curly hair and is again, just really nice! Very friendly.



Claire - she is only 17 and from Cumbria in England. She's always smiling, and still very young in her outlook (in a good way). She likes to laugh and will do things like trying to scare you, or throw water over you.



Abby - she is a lifeguard from England and has her head firmly screwed on. She is easy to chat to, and has a lot to say. She is totally in love with the dogs here, and always making sure that they are ok.



Sarah - she is a Christian girl from England, and was only here for a few days after I got here. Really sweet, and quite quiet but friendly.



Sarah (yes, there are 2) - from England, a blonde girl with dimples and a lovely smile, who is working here in a hospital as she's doing nurse training in the UK. She had her phone stolen on the bus here, which sucked!



Georgia - she is from Australia and is nearly through with uni, where she is doing teacher training. She's sporty and slim, always smiling, and quite laid back.



Nathan and James - from England. They come as a pair, as they're best mates since Primary School. Really nice guys, aka "The Stoners". Funnily enough, very laid back (!).



Jasmin - She is from Germany and is 26. She gets on with the guys and is one of the boys. She is good at organising, e.g. when our tro-tro decided not to pick us up from the middle of nowhere, she sorted it!



Meg - she is English and blonde. I didn't really get a chance to know Meg that well, which is a shame, as she seemed really nice.



Danuta - she is a lady in her late 40s, who is from Poland. She is Ewa's Mum. She has been living in Papa New Guinea for the last few years, lecturing at a uni, in Science.



Geraldine - she is 19 and from Italy. One of the sweetest, nicest, most genuine people you will ever meet in your whole life. Really petite and pretty, and a keen photographer, who helped me out a lot with my new camera. She grew up in New York.



Jamal - he is 31 and is the CEO of the Dream Africa Care Foundation. He lives in the house too, in his own room. He is a really tall Ghanaian man who definitely lives on Ghanaian time, and likes to chill and hang out with us sometimes.



Mavis - she is 24 (I think) and is our housekeeper/cook. She is from right here in Ghana. I adore Mavis, as does everyone. She is the sweetest person ever, and makes sure everyone is looked after, and cooks for us. If it weren't for Mavis, things would fall apart around the house I am sure!



Plus, of course, the 4 dogs. Bobby, who is the biggest dog. He's sweet and happy to do his own thing. He is shy at first but when he gets to know you, he will come up for strokes. Then there is Peace, who is a skinny street dog, kind of tan color. He doesn't like people. He lays in a corner of the room a lot, on his own, and goes off on his own for hours/days on end. Sometimes he lets you stroke him, but other times he growls. Also, we have Rusky, who was the puppy of the house until we got Kalimotxo last week. Rusky is a young, playful dog, who is happy to be picked up and be carried and cuddled. He is really affectionate and wants to play a lot. Lastly, we have Kalimotxo, who is the newest member of the household. He is a tiny puppy, who we got from the orphanage. He was skinny when he got here, but after just a week, he has a fat little tummy! Kali lets you pick him up and cuddle him lots. He's adorable. Very loving and sweet, and likes his food! He plays beautifully with Rusky - the other day they were playing tug of war with a sock!

So, that's it. Volunteers from the ages of 17 to late 40s.

Hailing from 13 different countries (England, Ireland, Spain, Germany, Italy, Austria, Sweden, Denmark, Australia, USA, The Gambia, Ghana and Poland.)

I think that's pretty damn cool 😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb