Bucket Shower


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Greater Accra » Teshie
July 18th 2013
Published: July 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

So tonight I had to brave the bucket shower. There is a massive vat of water in the yard with a tap on the bottom. You fill up a bucket with water (cold) and take it to the shower, where you simply fill it up with a mug and use that. Very refreshing and not as bad as I thought!

I was talking to Jamal earlier and he said he would find it really strange if hot water came out of a tap. Mind you, these cold showers are nice in Ghana. The weather sees to that. I think I'd actually CHOOSE a cold shower, even if there was hot water...

A lot of things about Ghana are very different from the UK. No pudding after dinner (insert sad face here), Very few street lights. The roads aren't roads for the most part, but dirt tracks, with red dust. The kids are outside all day (when not at school, or if they are too young for school). This just wouldn't happen in the UK, but here, the kids just toddle around, with passing cars going by. Mind you, they don't drive fast here by any means. It's very normal to see goats and chickens wandering past. People will come up to you in the street and ask your name. Teachers don't turn up for school if they don't feel like it, and the headteacher just sets them lines to copy from the board. African women will breastfeed anywhere, even in church. I'm sure there are many more things but I can't think of them now.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb