last week


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Greater Accra » Accra
November 26th 2008
Published: November 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello all

well it is my last week and what a month it has been. I am now starting to feel ready to come home.

Every day there seems to be something that astonishes me.
yesterday we were on a tro tro and my mum started chatting to a pregnant Ghanaian lady - when we got off the tro tro she took us to the village clinic where she is going to have her baby - we talked with the midwife on duty. Then she took us to her mothers house (or mud hut!)for water. 4 complete strangers she went out of her way for. The people here are just so amazing and friendly.

I think it is going to be difficult saying goodbye to some of the children and the orphanage and school some of them have tugged at my heart strings, not out of pity but out of how happy and beautiful little people they are. They find the smallest of things to pleasurable. The boys in my class have been bugging me for a small plastic bottle of water so i bought them all one - they were all so over the moon just to have their own water bottle.

We asked the special needs mama if she wanted anything for herself as she works tirelessly for the children - the response was nappies for the kids - she always puts them before herself!

On our way back from cape coast at the weekend our bus broke down in the middle of nowhere. after about an hours wait by the road side we managed to flag down a passing tro tro (mini bus) who took us the rest of the way to Accra. In total it took us 8 hours to travel 150 miles.

It has been wonderful not to thave watched or seen any tv for a month or read any papers - i have not go a clue what is going on in the world - apart from barak obama. it is a nice feeling in some ways.

Anyway, see you all soon - back to reality next week.

Emma

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb