The end of the Orientation, the beginning of the Placement


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Central
May 10th 2008
Published: May 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lars heating up the foodLars heating up the foodLars heating up the food

Cooking our Ghanian meal
So all of us volunteers from SYTO have moved on to our different placements around Ghana. We all enjoyed each other's company and felt we would miss each other. There was a kind of secure feeling us Europeans being together, learning about Ghana, but now we are placed in the middle of culture!
In our Orientation week we learned a bit of Ghanian cooking; fried plantains (bit like bananas), beans, and palava (spinach like sauce). We also did some drumming, the rhythm which I found really hard to grasp, and we did some dancing (that mades us all really sweaty in the heat!). Although we were tired, it was really fun. We have also hung out by the beach a few times. That was refreshing. And the tro tros (small buses) are fun to drive in; bumpy but cheap. The market smelt terrible and made me so glad to be veggie. The meat stinks and looks digusting! None of us volunteers want to go to a food market like that again, if we can help it.

I am staying at the Royal Seed Orphanage there. There are 100 children, ranging from 2 years to 14 years old. They are gorgeous
Yummy lunch!Yummy lunch!Yummy lunch!

The Ghanian meal we made, well mostly made by the Ghanians..
and all want to know our names. They love touching us and really want to be held, especially the little ones. I can't wait to get more involved at the Orphanage. They really look after me and the other 2 volunteers!

I will let you know more along the way...

Meanwhile, check out the Orphanage on www.youtube.com

Love to you all xXx


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Drumming awayDrumming away
Drumming away

Drumming lesson at SYTO
feeling the beatfeeling the beat
feeling the beat

Dancing lesson at SYTO


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb