Background: Formed from the merger of the British colony of the Gold Coast and the Togoland trust territory, Ghana in 1957 became the first sub-Saharan country in colonial Africa to gain its independence. A long series of coups resulted in the suspension of the constitution in 1981 and a ban on political parties. A new constitution, restoring multiparty politics, was approved in 1992. Lt. Jerry RAWLINGS, head of state since 1981, won presidential elections in 1992 and 1996, but was constitutionally prevented from running for a third term in 2000. John KUFUOR, who defeated former Vice President Atta MILLS in a free and fair election, succeeded him.
Blogs from Ejura
Latest Blogs from Ejura
- February 7th 2008 Emmanuel's Gift
by Words: 305 Photos: 1
- January 24th 2008 Lights ON!!! (oh...and Match #1 of Africa Cup)
by Words: 1028 Photos: 15
- January 22nd 2008 writer's block is a prick of a thing
by Words: 13 Photos: 0
- January 15th 2008 Ghana: Phase Two
by Words: 672 Photos: 4
- January 12th 2008 Finally...pictures!!!
by Words: 499 Photos: 0
- January 6th 2008 We chartered a tro-tro.
by Words: 684 Photos: 10
- January 6th 2008 Questions from America
by Words: 2601 Photos: 0
- January 2nd 2008 A Muslim "Wedding" (?)
by Words: 1214 Photos: 10
- December 26th 2007 The Chief has died (?)
by Words: 1318 Photos: 0
- December 24th 2007 Merry Christmas!
by Words: 1500 Photos: 16
- December 16th 2007 Goodbyes, round one
by Words: 454 Photos: 10
- December 12th 2007 quick update
by Words: 614 Photos: 6
- December 1st 2007 Raise Up! Wheelchair Project
by Words: 1376 Photos: 0
- November 23rd 2007 Happy Thanksgiving!
by Words: 584 Photos: 8
- November 19th 2007 a fever, the police station, and a jilted chief
by Words: 1257 Photos: 8
- November 11th 2007 a typical day in the neighborhood
by Words: 1205 Photos: 8
- November 11th 2007 A ping pong table and a Ghanian wedding
by Words: 839 Photos: 6
- November 6th 2007 Happy Halloween!
by Words: 316 Photos: 10
- November 6th 2007 The Ejura Yam Festival
by Words: 705 Photos: 7
- November 3rd 2007 Lighthouse Chapel, the Mega Church
by Words: 572 Photos: 0