Bismallah


Advertisement
Africa » Egypt
September 26th 2023
Published: November 28th 2023
Edit Blog Post

I can still picture that National Geographic magazine on my grandparent’s dusty coffee table, right next to the Swarovski bowl, full of stale sweets. It was February 1982 and I was 13 years old. Despite the controversy about the Giza pyramids touching each other in the cover photo. It didn’t matter. It ignited a spark within me to travel to this exotic place to marvel at this feat of mankind. ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Hebu TempleHebu Temple
Hebu Temple

Some really interesting stories painted on the walls of the temple. The colours amazingly vivid and preserved after all these years.
Hiding in plain sightHiding in plain sight
Hiding in plain sight

Many of the tourist groups had their own Egyptian secret service men with them. This guy is packing a sawed off AK under his blazer. It was preventative apparently, but didn't stop the shooting in Alexandria.
Abu SimbelAbu Simbel
Abu Simbel

Such an amazing site, to get the prospective, look at the people in the right corner of the picture. Massive!
Down time in AswanDown time in Aswan
Down time in Aswan

Nothing like a little pool time in 44c heat. I ate and drank and relaxed on the shore of the Nile river.
Protecting GizaProtecting Giza
Protecting Giza

It is alarming how much security is around these sites, especially if one of these guys just shot some tourists in a fit of rage in Alexandria.
Cats in the chipsCats in the chips
Cats in the chips

Cats everywhere you go in Egypt.
Life LessonsLife Lessons
Life Lessons

Our Guide Hady befriended a homeless kid begging us for money and taught him how to be an entrepreneur instead while we waited for our train.
Cairo MuseumCairo Museum
Cairo Museum

Some of the most interesting treasures and antiquities are found in the old museum and will be moved into GEM. The Canopic shrine on gilt wooden sledge. It contained the alabaster canopic box which contained Tutankhamun's mummified internal organs.
Train SpottingTrain Spotting
Train Spotting

Waiting in the station for our train, people watching is at a plus 10.
Hatshepsut battle scenesHatshepsut battle scenes
Hatshepsut battle scenes

That tough woman had to cover her temple in portraits of herself battling to win the people over. Further proving Women were badass even back then.
School GirlsSchool Girls
School Girls

We made our way to their home for lunch in Luxor. All were asking us about our lives back home. Taylor Swift was a huge subject of discussion.
Valley of the KingsValley of the Kings
Valley of the Kings

Tombs were way down long shafts inside mountains. Decorated in stories of the afterlife. All very fascinating.
Alcohol salesAlcohol sales
Alcohol sales

Sometime the stores were obvious in what they sold inside.



28th November 2023
Abu Simbel

So magical
Of all the sights I know of in Egypt Abu Simbel might be the one that feels most magical to me. I am so fascinated by the project where they dismantled it and moved it to make sure it wasn't swallowed by the Nasser Dam. When I go to Egypt I want to take my time and I don't want to rush it through. That probably won't happen yet for a few years. But one day I will go there because I really want to see the treasures of Egypt before I hit the bucket. /Ake
29th November 2023
Abu Simbel

Oh yes! You have to see Abu Simbel. Everyone should. There are so many historical sites to visit in Egypt, I felt like I had to pick one over another. Your idea of slow traveling Egypt is way smart. I’m just glad I got there finally.
29th November 2023

I am so sorry to hear about Shell's premature passing...
I am so glad that you and your mother were able to visit Egypt anyway. COVID disrupted so many travel plans.
29th November 2023

Thank you very much. It’s still a shock but we try to move forward without her. Shell is an huge void in our family now. After covid all I wanted to do was get back out there and travel even if we don’t know what the future has in store.
20th January 2024

Amazing Egypt
I'm so sorry to hear your sad news Andrea. How beautiful to have made the trip still, in your cousin's memory. Egypt is one of those places we often dream of, though not so many visit. When you do, you understand how special it is. Incredible country. I'm glad you were able to go in the end. I read about the Israeli tourists when it happened, and shocked to hear your Auntie was there. I admire her way of dealing with it, the keep calm and carry on generation I imagine. Well done also for heading out despite the news, and it is often interesting to find out that life still carries on in many places as normal despite what we hear in the news.
27th January 2024

Amazing Egypt!
Ah Thank you Alex. I can't say enough about Egypt, it was such a fantastic experience and I was so glad I could finally go. Sadly my Auntie suddenly passed away 2 months after we returned, but I know she was very pleased she went, despite the situation in Alexandria. That keep calm and carry on attitude was definitely her British genes!
28th January 2024

Life and Death
Like you, the National Geographic was responsible for inspiring a young me; and also like you, for countless reasons, Egypt has been an elusive destination. But you finally made it, how exciting! But I'm so so so sorry your cousin wasn't able to be there with you, and it's truly amazing your aunt was able to make the trip and be so stoic about what she witnessed. I can't believe the high temperatures that late in the year, that's crazy hot! Which company did you travel with? Given the composition of the group, I guessed the purple Canadian one rather than the red Australian one :)
28th January 2024

If the Nat Geo only knew!
Sadly, my Auntie passed away upon her return from Egypt. I think she died of a broken heart. So it was a sad Xmas for my family. However I am sooooo thankful she got to see Egypt at age 88, and enjoy it so immensely. She gave me a Xmas present a book called Empress of the Nile, it has been a fascinating read. Oh and p.s. The group was a red one!! Go figure. Now comes the hard part, deciding where to go next. Thanks to your wonderful travels, I have to keep adding to my list! Indo is definitely on my radar now. And maybe someday Hobart. Or maybe running into you both on a red trip! You never know!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 14; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb