And so on!!!!!


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Aswan
September 1st 2008
Published: September 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

After the greatest train ride of all time - 12 hrs overnight half sitting - half laying, and no air conditioning for the first couple of hours, we arrived in Aswan. Where to begin!!!We checked into our hotel overlooking the Nile River. Went for a walk and had some lunch and checked out the town.
Have done so much my mind is a blank!!! at present!!
We had an early morning to go out to Abu Simbel.. up at 3 or 4 for a 3 hr bus convoy to arrive by 8.00 am. This magnificent temple was moved up the bank about 100mtrs after they built the great dam and Lake Nasser. Block by block it was dismantled and put back together and you cannot tell that it has been moved!! The amazing heiroglyphics and drawings , some of which still have the colours used over 3000 yrs ago makes you wonder how!!
We did a light and sound show at Philae which was the temlpe of Isis. It was too hot to go out and explore this temple through the day so we opted to go in the evening. They re enact the story of Isis and have musice and light to highlight the carvings - then you proceed to a courtyard as the stroy continues then you are invited into the great hall of the temple. I had tears in my eys .. it was so beautiful.. you could imagine the people there in that time going about their day and also tending to Isis..

Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0716s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb