Mt Sinai


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Aswan
April 6th 2008
Published: April 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

OK, now here is a historically significant place, nature/landscape appreciation and really cool thing to do rolled into one!

After driving through the day from Cairo, including passing under the Suez canal (no ships passing through it to be seen, but we didn't have a great vantage point from the highway) we arrived at St Katherines protectorate in the early evening. Dinner in the carpark and after getting geared up with layers of clothes, water and sleeping bag, we proceeded to trek up Mt Sinai.

Most people go up about 3am to catch the sunrise, but we were different (thanks Kumuka) and went up the night before so we could sleep at the top. I have to say, it was one of the hardest climbs I've ever done. Not just because it was steep and long and rocky, which it was, but doing it in the dark, at altitude, with a chest infection and head cold was really pushing things. The camel riders who sell camel rides up didn't help with their constant litany of 'nice camel, help you up, ride camel, cheap'! No way I'd risk a camel riding up there in the dark, I was unsteady enough on my own feet! It was 2 1/2 hours climbing, but so absolutely worth it.

Just below the summit, there is a coffee shop (I know, it's kinda surreal) which hired thin mattresses and blankets, which were very necessary. We staked out our spot on top of a small rock building which had a flat roof overlooking the east and tried to sleep in preparation for the sunrise. However, it was freezing cold, with a strong chill wind, which made it tough. And to boot, it started raining and hailing. In the desert. I don't know the odds on that, but they've got to be good ones! We snuggled under blankets and pretended we didn't notice. By four thirtyish, we had quite a crowd of people of all nationalities waiting on the ground and rocks around us ready for the sun to rise.

After seeing beautiful pictures of the sunrise, I was expecting greatness. We didn't get it. There was a big mist over the area, so we got a lovely lightening of the mist until we could see the sun behind the haze quite high up in the sky. But despite that, it was a great experience!

The trek down was a whole lot easier than going up, though there were masses of pilgrims, sightseers and camel men to navigate round. The trip down was made more entertaining by laughing at the outstanding footwear and clothes some people wore - high heels, socks and jellies, clubbing type clothes, the works. But it takes all types! They may have been laughing at our practical walking shoes and fleeces.

It was a quiet truck on the road to Dahab after this adventure!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb