Aswan - Day 40


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Aswan
October 23rd 2007
Published: October 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Aswan CataractsAswan CataractsAswan Cataracts

Photo - location correct?
We drove down to Aswan. We had a bit of a problem - we were hoping to drive down the east bank of the Nile but were stopped at a road block about 15 km down the road and told it was too dangerous and we must go back to Luxor and wait to go in the convoy.

Since the shootings in 1997 when a number of tourists were killed the authorities make all the tourist buses and vehicles travel in a convoy with a police escort. So we had to return to Luxor and take the desert road which is excellent but scenically not as pleasant.

However, it got us to Aswan in good time and we went immediately to the offices of the Nile Navigation Co. to book our ferry to Wadi Haifa, Sudan. We had been told that the boat left on Monday but Mr. Salla, the man in charge, informed us that there was a passenger ferry on Friday which we could go on. The cars will have to travel on a pontoon which will follow behind and will take an extra day to get to Wadi Haifa. So we booked to go on that.

We found a campsite just outside Aswan on the opposite side of the river which seemed very nice and quiet. However, once the sun went down people and cars started arriving and we had the noisiest night imaginable. So the next day we upped and booked into a very nice (and very cheap!) hotel, the Keylany, in the town, GBP 9.50 per night for the room and breakfast. It also has a very nice roof terrace where we can take our beers to drink!

The last two days have been spent going through all the formalities required to take our vehicles out of Egypt and pay for the ferry and the pontoon. We have all enjoyed Egypt and all the wonderful scenery and sights but are now looking forward to the next stage of our trip - Sudan.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.309s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0815s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb