Days 26-28: Hughada, Egypt


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Red Sea » Hurghada
October 16th 2008
Published: November 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It's party timeIt's party timeIt's party time

Mel, Alice & Me at Papas II restuarant - Hurghada

Watch out for those beer goggles…..and the resulting hangover!!



After our afternoon lunch in Luxor we immediately made our way back to the campsite in readiness for our 2pm convoy to Hurghada, where we would be spending the next two nights.

What can one say about the town of Hughada? Nothing in fact! It is what I would call the Costa del Sol of Egypt, filled with tourist resorts & tacky souvenir shops that cater for the much maligned European package traveler and reveal nothing about the true Egypt. In truth the only thing this town has going for it is the red sea coast & climate, but in comparison to the reefs of Dahab & its laid back quietness - this town does not even rate. My advice to anyone thinking of it as a destination to absorb anything akin to Egyptian culture is ‘Don’t go!!’

But in saying all that it wasn’t all bad……..

For the first time in weeks, I got to stay in a proper hotel, complete with buffet breakfast, swimming pool and all the other fringe benefits….(except a hairdryer!!….I threw this one to remind you of me, Mel).

On
Out come the beer gogglesOut come the beer gogglesOut come the beer goggles

The very professional looking goggles to help in the consumption of more beer.
the evening of our first night we had another fancy dress dinner to welcome the new members of our tour group. A fun night was had by all as we partied the night away on the dance floor of Papas II, a very non-Egyptian restaurant serving some very non-Egyptian food (pork chops with sauerkraut anyone?). Copious amounts of alcohol later with the aide of some crudely made beer goggles for some & a very potent Egyptian version of a long island ice tea for others made us slowly disintegrate into inebriation.

Not content to end the night early, I went to my first ever ‘Hedkandi’ - Full Moon Party at one of the local beach clubs where I continued to party the rest of the night away with the rest of group…..

Later that morning, exhaustion finally took over and I headed home…..some five hours later (we’re talking close to 10am here by the way) I was up in a jolt to make a dash to the breakfast buffet before we headed out to spend the day on our red sea cruise.

We weren’t the only ones that had thought this a good idea. As we sailed
Dancing the night awayDancing the night awayDancing the night away

Me, Michael & Heidi
off into the blue yonder of the red sea we ended up in the middle of the ocean beside a series of reefs (which would be our spot for diving & snorkeling). I am no sailor so forgive the inappropriate use of sailing lingo - but as we moored (?) along the reefs, it became somewhat of a boat parking lot as dozens of boats moored up beside us to let their group of tourists into the water. So idyllic as it may seem to be swimming & snorkeling in the middle of the red sea - it wasn’t, mainly because we spent half our time swimming around boats & their anchors to get to the actual reefs themselves.

Additionally, in tribute to true tackiness, we were given the added privilege of viewing the life-like shark statue & glass pyramid that had been either bolted to the bottom of the ocean floor or suspended in mid sea (I don’t remember) for the viewing pleasure of the divers diving in and around the area.

I was ever so glad that I had taken the option of an introductory dive in Dahab because in comparison these reefs were like the
I'll only have one drinkI'll only have one drinkI'll only have one drink

You can tell that tonight was going to end very badly for some...Isn't that right Henrik!!
equivalent of sticking your head in one of the rock pools that line many of Sydney’s beaches - I.e. possibly filled with many gems but overall nothing really worth noting.

My snorkeling experience completed I made my way back to the boat to collapse on the upper deck where I spent the remainder of the afternoon fast asleep soaking up the remaining afternoon sun.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

A proper bed for the nightA proper bed for the night
A proper bed for the night

Our hotel room came complete with swan towels for....Isn't that cute. Here i am with Kate


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb