Safe Arrival


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Middle Egypt » Asyut
July 11th 2008
Published: July 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

July 11, 1:18 p.m., Amshool, Egypt

First things first. We are safely arrived in Upper Egypt. We left seminary with a group of 5 students at 5:45 Friday morning and took the Metro to Ramses Station in Central Cairo where we caught the 7 a.m. train south. Last night was the hottest and most humid night so far which was miserable for sleeping, but probably good preparation for the next week. Even early in the morning we were drenched in sweat by the time we arrived at the train. Thankfully Kadry understands that we are soft Westerners and booked us first class tickets in an air conditioned car. It was perfect.

The train ride south was uneventful. We arrived in Dairo (?) around 11:30 and were met at the station by Abu Emad and Om Emad (Kadry’s parents - I’ll explain the names another day) along with the driver of the minibus from their village church. The drive to Amshool took maybe 30 minutes.

We have settled into our quarters - an apartment on the second floor of the house - and have already feasted on Egypt’s famous hospitality. Lunch was the best food I’ve had in a month without question, but both Hans and I looked at each other after lunch and said that if we eat like that at every meal for the next 6 days we’ll gain 10 pounds this week! I think that is the goal of Om Emad - she’s already mentioned that she wants to see Hans fattened up! Perhaps an indictment of his wife’s cooking ability.

Hans enjoyed the day at the Ain Sukna yesterday but I had to stay behind. Something happened to my knee during the final party on Wednesday night and I was in horrible pain on Thursday morning and not able to bear much weight. I decided to stay home and rest in hopes of being able to move today. Thankfully the remedy worked and everything went according to plan today.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb