Alexandria


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Mediterranean » Alexandria
August 6th 2009
Published: August 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The final stay in Egypt was in the city of Alexandria. This city was founded by Alexander the Great a long time ago. It has a ton of history and culture. It also has a lot of trash cleaning crews since it is a major tourist destination. Our hotel, The Plaza, provided an wonderful view into the Mediterranean. It also was just a quick cab ride to the old citadel. The citadel over looks the main harbour that was designed by Alexander the Great. The Great Light House has sadly burned down, so we were unable to see it. However, we did get to have dinner at at the sea during sunset. The mixture of floating boats, splashing waves and swimmers and the colours of the sun made for an amazing experience.

The other major attraction that I visited was the New Great Library. It is an impressive building that is suppose to become the new center of learning in the region. It really was an impressive building. However, it didnt have too many books in it. I excused this critique because it was only a few years old. Also, my experience as a library volunteer has taught me how long it takes to catalogue a book. Any ways, the building itself is pretty amazing. Besides just housing books, there are also a few museums and galleries.

Ill get the pics up soon. Ive been having trouble with photo uploading in this country.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb