Background: The regularity and richness of the annual Nile River flood, coupled with semi-isolation provided by deserts to the east and west, allowed for the development of one of the world's great civilizations. A unified kingdom arose circa 3200 B.C. and a series of dynasties ruled in Egypt for the next three millennia. The last native dynasty fell to the Persians in 341 B.C., who in turn were replaced by the Greeks, Romans, and Byzantines. It was the Arabs who introduced Islam and the Arabic language in the 7th century and who ruled for the next six centuries. A local military caste, the Mamluks took control about 1250 and continued to govern after the conquest of Egypt by the Ottoman Turks in 1517. Following the completion of the Suez Canal in 1869, Egypt became an important world transportation hub, but also fell heavily into debt. Ostensibly to protect its investments, Britain seized control of Egypt's government in 1882, but nominal allegiance to the Ottoman Empire continued until 1914. Partially independent from the UK in 1922, Egypt acquired full sovereignty following World War II. The completion of the Aswan High Dam in 1971 and the resultant Lake Nasser have altered the time-honored place of the Nile River in the agriculture and ecology of Egypt. A rapidly growing population (the largest in the Arab world), limited arable land, and dependence on the Nile all continue to overtax resources and stress society. The government has struggled to ready the economy for the new millennium through economic reform and massive investment in communications and physical infrastructure.
Blogs from Alexandria
Latest Blogs from Alexandria
- May 12th 2013 Alexandria, Egypt
by Words: 1149 Photos: 9
- April 5th 2012 Suez to Alexandria
by Words: 2293 Photos: 17
- January 27th 2012 24 Hours in Alexandria
by Words: 394 Photos: 9
- January 2nd 2012 alexandria the great....fish not so great
by Words: 455 Photos: 4
- November 27th 2011 Shit hitting the fan....
by Words: 2854 Photos: 13
- November 2nd 2011 Cairo, Protests and Socials.
by Words: 2910 Photos: 15
- November 1st 2011 Cairo, Egypt!! Finally!!
by Words: 1383 Photos: 41
- October 21st 2011 The Bearded Ninja and Other Stories
by Words: 1854 Photos: 9
- October 2nd 2011 Settling, An Ambassador and David Beckham's PE Teacher.
by Words: 1720 Photos: 9
- September 25th 2011 The Godforsaken hole of Thieves.
by Words: 1654 Photos: 6
- September 20th 2011 Alexandria
by Words: 1131 Photos: 7
- August 18th 2011 Alex and environs
by Words: 738 Photos: 16
- April 27th 2011 The voyage to Alexandria and the tales of an upset stomach
by Words: 1477 Photos: 36
- February 14th 2011 Discovering the world is not my Oyster (Travelling Egypt during the revolution)
by Words: 3595 Photos: 21
- January 5th 2011 Alexandria: A City of Contrasts
by Words: 686 Photos: 18
- November 7th 2010 Cairo to Alexandria
by Words: 1077 Photos: 0
- October 14th 2010 Jewel of the Nile
by Words: 798 Photos: 0
- October 6th 2010 Cairo to Siwa
by Words: 549 Photos: 0
- August 8th 2010 Alexandria, a City with a History
by Words: 581 Photos: 17
- August 6th 2010 Yaalla Eskandria! (Let's go to Alexandria!)
by Words: 978 Photos: 12