Seafood Spectacular


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Mediterranean » Alexandria
April 7th 2008
Published: May 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Once again the trains were delayed, which meant we got into Alexandria four hours late.

We settled into our room, which had ocean views, and then quickly headed out to the Roman/Egyptian Catacombs before it closed. The Romans who settled in Egypt built these, but still used an Egyptian influence with decoration to fit in with the locals. It was very impressive to see, and the carvings were interesting. Basically the Egyptian gods grew muscles Roman style. Below the Egyptian scenes was then a similar scene in the Roman style. There were over 170 tombs down there, so it was very large. But one of my favourite parts about it was that is was discovered by a donkey who fell down a hole.

After a quick drink break, it was back to the hotel and out for seafood dinner. This was amazing. Everyone managed to stuff themselves to excess, and the best bit was, other then the food of course, the price!

After dinner we went for a stroll along to the Roman fort, which is thought to be where the Lighthouse from the Seven Ancient Wonders of the World once stood. It is now the local hang out for the kids and there was a nice Chapel St vibe going on.

Out last stop on our night out was to a sheesha bar. We got to try apple, cherry, melon and peach. Peach is definitely the way to go. It was then off to bed, ready for another early start.

The traffic is very interesting in Alexandria. There was less of it then in Cairo, but it was MAD, and on narrow street. We hit someone with the side mirror while in a taxi, and there was a crazy guy on a pushbike who was lucky to still be alive!



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0174s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb