Pyramids of Giza


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
October 15th 2009
Published: December 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Though I wished we could have spent a lot more time in Israel I was looking forward to seeing the Pyramids in Egypt. All six of us were off the boat before the buses left and had to walk out of the port over a bridge where the security detail - six or more trucks full of soldiers carrying machine guns) - to escort the tour buses to Cairo. Our passports were checked again as we left to meet our replacement tour guide Rasha and van driver (forget his name) and we left without any escort detail.

Rasha does not drive and had no desire to, I see why, the lines painted on the roads were possibly for decoration as none of the drivers seem to heed them in any way: organized chaos. It was a three hour drive to Cairo on the desert highway that appeared to be more converted farmland than desert. Sharing the road with other vehicles, pedestrians, donkey carts we saw pigeon houses, walled compounds and one large prison off to our left.

Rasha decided we should start at the Museum of Antiquities early to beat the crowds who were now at the Pyramids and
Sail boat ride on the NileSail boat ride on the NileSail boat ride on the Nile

L-R: Keith, Debra, Captain, Mike, Kelly, Debbie, Oscar
would come here next. I wish I had taken more photographs of Cairo itself, many of the building were incomplete (at the roof level) yet were lived in. We were told once a building is complete they have to pay extra taxes and unfinished allows them to grow higher for new family members. Over a hundred years old the museum was not air conditioned on the lower floor but was not uncomfortable in October. Rasha gave us a guided tour downstairs where the pieces are in chronological order. She highlighted a few pieces and skipped most, we just didn't have time. I could have easily spent half a day here and still only see a fraction. Another male tour guide at one point chastised Rasha for being too loud - the six of us were crowded in very close to hear in the first place - then proceeded to talk even louder than Rasha. The upper floor was filled with antiquities and treasures of Tutankhamen (King Tut) and air-conditioned! It was incredible to see items such as his many pairs of sandals, weapons, and burial mask. No photos were allowed inside, bummer.

We drove a short distance up the Nile where we taken for a short sailboat ride. While it was pleasant ride in hindsight I would have preferred to spend the time in the museum. We seemed to be the only ones riding that day, none of the other small sailboats were out. The sailors do not own the sailboats but do sleep on them instead of going home at night. On the banks of the shore we could see the new cell towers built like palm trees as camouflage. Much better than the "Pine Tree" versions here in Atlanta.

We finally arrived at the Pyramids around 2pm. First impressions are everything and they was impressive. I had thoughts before leaving that the Pyramids were far out in the desert but the park is enveloped by the city and only one end looks out in what appears to be endless desert. There is a KFC within three minutes of walking from the Sphinx. Rasha bought our tickets (part of the tour) but Keith, Debbie and myself paid extra so we could climb into the Pyramids. We had been warned multiple times that it was small, hot, claustrophobic and a lack of oxygen cause some to panic once inside but we bought them anyway.

Our first stop was the largest and oldest, the Great Pyramid, or Pyramid of Khufu. We snapped a few photos and climbed up as far as was allowed. Around to the east side past the boat pits were the queens tombs, or smaller pyramids. Cameras were not allowed inside so Rasha held our cameras for us. Something about the shutter vibration will damage the insides. We quickly found out that if you turn around and go in backwards it was much easier to descend on the wooden ramp. Hot, humid and cramped we made it inside. There was an Egyptian taking photos of the couple inside with their camera for Baksheesh (tips). He offered to take our photograph (Me and Kelly) as well but I told him my camera had been taken from us and he still held his hand out for Baksheesh! One tomb was enough, Kelly skipped the next. We drove around to the west/opposite side of the park near the smallest of the three Pyramids, the Pyramid of Menkaure for a camel ride. The ride was pre-arranged as part of our tour and tips were already included. We were led around in desert for about 15 minutes for a photo opportunity. Unfortunately trash, mostly plastic blows from the city and much of the area around here looked like a garbage dump. Despite being told to not tip and that they would not ask for one the boys leading us did anyway, up to $20, which he didn't get.

Instead of enjoying the view due to time we rushed to the middle pyramid, Pyramid of Khafre where the three of us who bought tickets simply went directly in while Rasha waited for us outside. Only slightly more interesting than the queen's tomb we entered earlier this one descended into small room where three hippie looking teens were hanging out. The passage way then rose into a much larger room. The walls were bare and again another couple getting their picture taken inside. On the way out, the passage was barely wide enough for one I came across a group where a lady was having trouble and another lady was calmly reassuring her. I didn't slow down and I squeezed past.

We were pretty much running by this time as it was getting close to 4pm and we had yet to visit the Sphinx. I had frankly forgotten about the Sphinx being so engrossed by the Pyramids but this was the icing on the cake. Lots of tourists were lined up getting in and out of the passage way that leads to the platform overlooking the Sphinx. I was a little surprised to see there was no rail on the edge, coming from a country that sues at the drop of a hat I wonder how many people actually fall or get pushed off here due to the crowds, not many I would guess. I'm sure you'd learn your lesson and only do it once.

At 4:30, thirty minutes after closing time the guard started blowing his whistle to get the tourists out and had a small fight with the local boys selling trinkets to the point one little boy started crying. Keith would always ask the little boys trying to sell us things all day "shouldn't you be in school?", good for a laugh. The kids didn't think it was so funny though. We took a few more photo's and waited for the bus near the KFC while Rasha went back to look for Debbie who we had mistakenly been left behind.

We finally had time to sit and have some lunch (early dinner) with a view of the Pyramids through the window. Besides the snacks we brought we had nothing to eat since breakfast. Before we finished Rasha and the bus driver were waiting for us outside worried we would miss the ship. They had been told the ship left much earlier than 11pm but we were sure we were right and relaxed while we ate. That and I'm sure they wanted to go home instead of hanging out with tourist all day. As we walked out I saw Rasha put money in a police officers hand behind his back, more Baksheesh. I've seen pictures but I know it doesn't do it justice, I would have loved to see the Pyramids at night when they are lit. Maybe another time, that and a visit to the Valley of the Kings.

The sun had set and it was dark on our three hour ride back to Alexandria. The highway was more crowded, tourists buses racing back to drop off their cargo; men waiting on the side of the road to hitch a ride and some had small portable tables set up within feet of the fast moving vehicles while eating dinner. It was surreal. I learned a little on how they view their wars with Israel in 1967 and 1973 differed from what I had read after Rasha brought the subject up. The early victories are the focus and the later defeats are forgotten.

It was probably around 9 or 9:30pm and we met the lady we arranged our tour with at the entrance to the port and she insisted the boat would leave at 9. We settled our $100 pp cost for the day tour and left Oscar and Debbie behind thinking the ship might be waiting on us and we rushed to the ship. We were right and had plenty of time to get back but it was nerve racking. A couple more passport checks and we were back aboard for our final leg back to Athens after a final day at sea.

On our last day after dinner we met up with the other two couples Oscar and Debbie, Kieth and Debra to sit around and chat in the Piano Bar and talk about our trips and say our farewells. We
KFC!KFC!KFC!

Few minutes walk from the Sphinx
were fortunate to have met up with a great bunch of travelers for this trip and they will be missed.




Link to Kodak Gallery Photos.

Video Gyeongbukgung - Changing of the Guards 1 (YouTube). Click the HD button once video loads for 720 HD.

Video Great Pyramid.

Video Pyramid Camel Ride 1.

Video Pyramid Camel Ride 2.

Video Pyramid Camel Ride 3.

Video Sphinx.







Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb