Cairo


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
March 23rd 2008
Published: March 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Mad, dusty, loud, but somehow captivating - that's Cairo in summary. Arrived safely from Sharm and met up with my group for the next 35 days. All Aussies except myself and one other Kiwi girl, thanks to the Gallipolli on Anzac Day component of the tour I guess.
The traffic in Cairo is just as chaotic as it's made out to be, with a definite lack of lane use and any other road rules and overuse of the horn and parking Italian style. Most people seem to speak some English, usually the standard 'where you from?' that seems to be taught all over the world.
After an initial quiet night exploring the local area of Dokki, near the Nile, and sampling the local food, the next morning we headed out to Giza to join the hoards of other tourists in awe at the pyramids and the Sphinx. WOW! Now this is what you think of when talking about Egypt
It may be stating the obvious, but the pyramids are REALLY BIG, while the Sphinx is smaller than you would think from pictures. And they are right by the city, not way out in the desert as one would imagine. The non-claustrophobic amongst us went right inside one, which was an experience of it's own. It gets very muggy and close in there, a small tunnel with a steep slope down, along and then steep back up again to the tomb chamber. Very very cool. Well actually not, it's unseasonably hot at the moment with easy 40 degree days. Bring on the desert!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb