Camel Trekking


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
November 17th 2006
Published: December 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well, let me tell you, I have full appreciation for those people of the ancient caravans who traveled across the desert on camels - wow - how did they keep their tushies from hurting so much? This trip, leaving from the Giza pyramids and heading out into the desert some ways, was one I had wanted to do since last year. I've done it once now, and that was enough :-)
It was great - twenty people on camels (well, except Ahmed, who thought that he should ride a horse), beautiful sunshine, and lots of laughs. I learned that there are many ways to sit on a camel, and none of them are too comfortable, but it's not too bad. After riding for about 1 1/2 hours, we took a rest and took some Christmas card shots. Then, it was another 2 hours or so back to Giza.
A word of advice for anyone else who decides to take a group out (either on camels or horses) - at the end of the tour, just collect tip money from everyone, put it in a box, and give it to the stableman to distribute to the helpers - this
The Intrepid TravellerThe Intrepid TravellerThe Intrepid Traveller

My husband, the only actual Egyptian in our riding group, decided that he should ride a horse instead of a camel.
way you avoid the rude and annoying hassle of 15 or so people coming after you for tips!
Bye for now, and happy holidays.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Camel SmileCamel Smile
Camel Smile

This fellow seemed unusually happy today.
Okay, just listen...Okay, just listen...
Okay, just listen...

A camel and donkey conspire to overthrow their captors.
RelaxingRelaxing
Relaxing

For some reason, my camel was the only one who thought he should lay down and roll in the sand while eating.
Giza cemeteryGiza cemetery
Giza cemetery

A cemetery in a village just outside of the Giza pyramids complex.
Green in the cityGreen in the city
Green in the city

Wonderful bright green among the sand and dirt of the city.


Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb