The Adventures of Monica and Phil


Advertisement
Djibouti's flag
Africa » Djibouti
March 4th 2006
Published: March 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well,
Here we are in Djibouti, Djibouti. Not many countries that have a capitol city named after the country, or is it the other way around?
We arrived here on 2 March after a 2 1/2 day trip from Washington, DC, and didn't travel over the international date line. We could have flown to Australia in less time.
We will be adding pictures (hopefully) to the notes that I put in our travelblog, as soon as we feel more comfortable here.
We are staying in the Bellevue Hotel, which is about a 10 minute drive from the American Embassy, where we are working. The Embassy compound consists of approximately 10 acres, which run right down to a beach.
Djibouti is located on the Horn of Africa directly across the straits from Yeman, which is on the Saudi Arabian penninsula, on he Gulf of Aden.
We have only been in Djibouti for two days, so haven't seen a great deal. However, the country is only the size of Connecticut, so there probably isn't a great deal to see.
We are lucky since we are here during the springtime. The temperature only gets to 105 F. I don't know exactly when summer will begin, hopefully after we depart for home, since the temperature does go up to 125 F during the summer season.
We'll add more to this journal as we add more experiences to our internal data bank.

Advertisement



4th March 2006

Had my hair cut yesterday and over heard two men talking.The first said " Sure glad that Runfola is in Africa" The second said "Why"? The first said" Now I have a chance to win some money on the golf course".
5th March 2006

Welcome to the new bloggers
See - it's easy isn't it? We are still in the Barossa and leaving tomorrow so will hopefully add to our blog tomorrow. Looking forward to more about Djibouti and photos.
12th March 2006

Ha!
I know that the story about a haircut is false because you don't have enough hair for a haircut. Seriously, is there a golf course there? I looked on Google Earth and don't see one. Is it like the original one in Alice, sand with sand greens? We finally had rain in our desert after 143 days of drought. It sounds like you will beat our summer temperatures though. What sort of food to they offer there? Can you eat western, or are you on a diet of goat meats and eyeballs? Hope Monica is coping with the shopping. Our love.
14th March 2006

Quotabusters
I shall report the results!! First tee is us @ 9:10 am--where????
15th March 2006

Hi Dad and Monica, I can't wait to see the pictures you post. We actually had temps in the high 80's here last week!!! Unfortunately that was short lived!!
24th April 2006

What fascinating places you get to visit your two...had not heard of these blogs till Jo's came thru...great way of keeping us all informed...will wait for the next installment...enjoy

Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.017s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb