Camp Lemonier


Advertisement
Djibouti's flag
Africa » Djibouti
March 14th 2006
Published: March 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello again,
We decided to visit Camp Lemonier, which is a US Military base on the outskirts of town. It is a joint base, in that there are Marines, Navy, Army and Air Force service personnel assigned there. It is a quasi permanent base, and one military fellow said that there are plans to make it a permanent base. That means barracks, and all the facilities that you would find at a up and running military complex. As of right now, the barracks consist of air conditioned tents, and a lot of temporary buildings. Of course we visited the Commissary and PX, to do a little shopping. The items available are quite limited, but adequate for our needs. We saw one sign in the PX that stated "Djibouti is so nice, they named it twice". This refers to the fact that the capitol city is named Djibouti as well as the name of the country.... Djibouti, Djibouti. This is certainly tounge in cheek...
As we walked around the base, we discoverd other little shops and around one corner we ran into a Burger King. Yes, woppers are available here. Of course we tried one, and they are truly stateside woppers. A little touch of home, here in the desert. We plan on making a weekly run to Camp Lemonier just to keep in touch with our stateside personas...

Advertisement



14th March 2006

Tuesday Golf
Large chops today--I needed 11---made 23--Had my 11 in the first 4 holes--2 birdies in a row. Would have done better except I lost my 8 iron[ chipping iron] at the 7th hole and had to make do after that. Reese found it so all turned out fine.
14th March 2006

Great to hear from you
Greetings Phil and Monica--I love the blog and look forward to reading more about your adventures in Djibouti. All is well in Washington--the cherry blossoms are ready to make their annual appearance as I head off to Italy for several weeks (sounds rather pedestrian, doesnt it?)

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb