Corruption in Cameroon Article


Advertisement
Cameroon's flag
Africa » Cameroon
March 27th 2013
Published: March 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

There is corruption in Cameroon. One of the first issues that one can see that starts the corruption is through the president. President Biya has been in office for years, and does not help Cameroon to grow and prosper, rather, Cameroon keeps getting poorer and poorer. When citizens voice what needs to be done, such as fixing the roads, the government simply tells them they have no money to do so. But the citizens know differently. They know that Cameroon receives money from the world bank and other areas, but instead of using that money to help the country, the government officials pocket the money for themselves, including President Biya. Biya is maintaining the infrastructure that was in place during colonial rule rather then fixing and improving it. So while he is in power, he pockets the money for himself that should be spent on things such as roads since he is trying to see how long they last.

Some examples in Cameroon stem from the military, who bully citizens and are often drunk trying to gain any bribes off of citizens trying to get somewhere or do something. The cost keeping the military around is highly expensive for the government, and the police and law enforcement don't do anything besides harass the people anyway. Another place of corruptions happens within businesses. In order to set up a small business, the fees are so high and pricey it doesn't even seem worth it. Also, to get courts to enforce unpaid invoice takes up to nearly two years to reach and it costs 2/3rds more by that point.

There are three reasons as to why there was an ineffective library built. The first reasons was because the educational officials in the area where the library was built control a large amount of the funds, which they hand out based off of personal connections rather then necessity. The second reason was because the principle who wanted the library had no one monitoring her spending. The staff member there are paid or promoted based off what the principle calls for. The third reason was due to the fact that the principal only wanted to turn the school into a university so to do that there needed a library. There were no specifics as to what the library was suppose to be like, there just needed to be a library in general.

Corruption affects the society as a whole. Many people can see that in general. With Cameroon, there was no point in investing in businesses because the government won't protect one from thieves. And there is no point in paying bills because the court isn't going to really enforce anything. And for anything to settle itself, bribery will find its way into one's business. If you have a mass amount of people that feel this way, nothing is going to ever get done and if it does get done, that is because of bribery or corruption happens to be the motivation.

Cameroon has a lot to do in order to attempt to fix itself up as a country. The first thing would be to try to not elect the president again, and instead have someone in place where that person will actually use the money for the people rather then for a personal bank account. Then, that person as well as the rest of the government is going to have to work on getting corruption out.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb