Botswana you beauty


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana
August 19th 2017
Published: August 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Windhoek was 500 kilometres away from Etosha so it made for a very long drive. Unfortunately our bus got a flat tyre so we had to stop for lunch early whilst the guys changed it for the spare. Spirits we really high for some reason and singing on the bus spread out onto the side of the road for dancing and singing whilst the tyre was being changed by the boys and lunch being made by the girls! We were a well oiled machine and thankfully didn't lose much time because of it. When we got into Windhoek we had to make a detour to get a new tyre before heading to our camp. We had to wait on the bus whilst this happened, so what better to do than play some music. Before we knew it everyone was up on the bus, dancing in the isles to African music. So much so our tour guide got involved, then the garage men changing the tyre. Ultimately it spilled outside of the bus and we were dancing around tyres with the garage guys, having a crazy party. A fantastic way to end this leg of our trip.
Our camp site didn't disappoint with the promise of real beds and heated blankets! This was camping at a whole new level- positively glamping we were. Our luck of getting the best room had also returned with us having three beds in our tent!
It was a change over day here, where by we said goodbye to some of the fantastic friends we had made and welcomed new ones into the family. We all went out for dinner together and shared some goodbye drinks and more good food. Again it ultimately led to dancing on tables until the wee hours of the morning!
After a sad final farewell we were off to cross the boarder into Botswana. After a smooth crossing it was just another 500k to our camp in the kalahari desert. Tents pitched again we opted to an evening of entertainment from the local bushmen.
Tents down and on the road again the next day we were off to our pit stop before the Okavonga delta. There is nothing much to report here apart from the showers were horrendous. I'm talking about freezing cold and literally two trickles coming out. It was like we were being shot at by two cheap water pistols. I'd rather have not showered in hind site. The next day made up for it though, with one of the high lights being a long cruise in traditional canoes on the Okavango delta and we floated all the way to our campsite on a remote island in the middle of it. The journey there was out of this world. Me and Jo both said it was like being in heaven! The sky was so blue and the surrounding marshland/reeds so green, there was a gentle breeze blowing making the reeds sing and zzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz! We were both asleep before we knew it! We were awoken by the gentle whisper of 'excuse me miss- we have arrived!' Our lovely oarsman (two-six! Yes his name was two-six?!) had got us to the island safe and sound. On the island it was the same drill of tents up, kitchen up and lunch on the go! In the afternoon we chilled out at the watering hole, had a go at trying to row and steer the boat for ourselves. It's a long skinny canoe type thing where you steer and move with a huge long pole- sounds easy right? It's not- to the point where I fell over lol! That afternoon we were out on a bush walk with a local guide. We managed to get close to some zebras but nothing else- much to our disappointment. We stayed up late and experienced the local songs, swapped out national anthems (we did the UK proud guys!) and danced the night away to African music with our hosts. Back to the mainland the next day with two-six I was asleep before we left the island!
Back at camp we all opted out the showers as they weren't even working this time around! We arrived at our new camp- again in the middle of no where, this time our neighbours were the huge baobab trees! After a much needed shower it was camp punch night- my father will be proud to know I was an excellent punch master and it went down a storm. Thankfully not feeling to delicate the next day we headed off to Chobe national park for our next chance to see more animals. In the evening we went on a boat cruise down the Chobe river. We saw loads of hippos, elephants and even better the buffaloes!! We have now actually seen all of the big 5!!
The rest of the group were in bed early that night as they were up at 4:45am for an early morning game drive. So there we were in our tent at 4:45, when the tent zip starts to undo! I scream- who the hell is opening our tent! It was another of the girls coming to offer us a spot on the game drive. Another one of the girls had fallen sick and was unable to go. To save the spot from being wasted me and Jo did rock, paper, scissors for it and decided that I would go. Bleary eyed I got onto the safari vehicle, tucked under a mountain of blankets. It didn't take long into the drive before we saw more lions up close and even a male this time. All in all it was pretty amazing seeing the sun come up over the river and the animals start their day. I feel well and truly spoilt.
Back on the bus again ( deja vu of I love bus) it was off to cross the boarder into Zimbabwe and head to Victoria falls. See you at the falls- we love bus (again) Lauren and Jo


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb