Things that go chomp in the night!


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Lusaka » Kabulonga
August 30th 2017
Published: September 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at Victoria falls late afternoon and our camp was less than 1km to the actual falls. It was to be the last few nights we would spend with our current group and there was lots to see and do. We pitched our tents- this time there wasn't a speck of dust to be seen and there was even grass (a rare luxury). After a much needed shower we headed out for dinner. It was a buffet and we were able to try crocodile, warthog, buffalo, grubs and tripe! We decided to leave the tripe but got stuck into everything else. Our favourite was by far the warthog (sorry pumba!) we were also treated to local music and dance. Back at the camp it was early to bed as we had planned to go to the falls in the morning.
As we got off the bus at the falls, we were greeted by loads of baboons, one had even lost an arm! Once in the falls it was photo op after photo op and even the baboons featured- we witnessed one snatch a pack of crisps from a little girls hands and run off to eat them, whilst another turned the bin over to get the left overs thrown out! We had gotten stuck behind a Spanish/Italian tour group of elderly ladies who we nicknamed the bin bag bints ( the all had on big white plastic ponchos and had no spacial awareness in them) they would step in front of our cameras as we took photos, so we decided to overtake them. It sounds strange but we came across a lovely bent over tree and decided it would make a good picture. So we managed to grab a stranger to take the picture and climb up the tree for the photo. Then out of nowhere came this Italian tour guide and photobombed us, pretending to be a lion or something eating/chasing us up the tree! None of us knew what to do, so we just laughed awkwardly until he went away! I mention this because later on and further around the falls, we had stopped for another photo- when he did it again!!! He just decided he liked us and wanted to be in our pictures. Well by this point we were in hysterics. After the tears had stopped we re-composed ourselves for more photos- this time at the cliff edge. Victoria falls is beautiful and you can't put into words how vast it is- but i couldn't help think how similar to Iguazu falls it was.
All of the above is on the Zimbabwe side of the border (Victoria falls gives a natural border between Zimbabwe and Zambia) so we decided to hot foot it down the road to cross the bridge/border and have a look. At one point we managed to have a foot in Zimbabwe and Zambia at the same time!
After a morning walking around the falls we spent the afternoon chilling by the pool. That night was our last night with our current group, the hotel had put a Dj on for us, so after dinner we sang and danced the night away to our favourites over he past few weeks. The next morning there were definitely a few sore heads as we said a final farewell over a breakfast of sausage and bacon!
We organised our stuff and moved tents, new group- new tents! We popped to the local markets and brought some souvenirs- traded clothes for a reduced cost of them and then again made the most of the sun and pool.
After 20 days of camping, being outside on the dirt most of the time and not having great showers most of the time, our feet have become unrecognisable. Cracked heels, dirt engrained so badly you can't wash it off with any amount of soap and chipped polish. With some bargaining on price we treated ourselves to a pedicure. Apologising profusely to poor Primrose (my beautician) she gave my feet such a scrub, legs a much needed massage and a fab polish to finish- we felt like princesses walking on air. A great way to end the day.
We met our new group that evening and had an early night as it was up early to cross the border in the morning.
Exiting Zimbabwe was a quick and painless experience. Getting into Zambia was fine but we had to queue for a while. We had to wait for our guides on the bus, whilst they sorted paperwork out. There were again baboons running wild everywhere and before we knew it one was on the bus! Like actually on the bus... inside!! There was a tray of apples on the front seat and he had got on, stolen two apples and jumped onto another bus roof by the time we had all stopped screaming!! It wasn't exactly a small one either and they are known to be vicious and carry rabies! Door firmly closed it wasn't long before we were on the road on our way to the next camp site. There's nothing really to report for the next few days as it was long drives to get to Lusaka national park to start seeing some more animals.
Our campsite at Lusaka national park was as wild as they come. We had hundreds of monkeys wandering around camp, stealing food and making for great entertainment. We pitched out tent and decided to cool off in the pool. We didn't have to wait long before we saw a hippo trot down the river bank for a dip- it was huge. This was followed by more hippos, elephants and a giraffe. There was even two hippos in camp that night within touching distance. They make this grunting noise that sounds like laughing. We got up early to catch the sunrise, because if it was anything like the sunset it was going to be beautiful!
Up early we camped out to watch the sunrise. Time passed and nothing happened... the light was odd and it was almost like it had risen already. Then we realised we were on the wrong side of camp and the sun was busy rising behind us! A quick dash across camp and we enjoyed a lovely sunrise before spending the rest on some much needed tanning. Some of the group went out that day on a game drive and had seen leopards with a kill amongst other things.
Our new group is mainly comprised now of younger boys (18+) so it was kind of inevitable that a day resting by the pool would end up in a water fight/ lets splash the girls while they sunbathe! We did all have a great giggle but us girls vowed revenge in the near future. Once again most of the group left in the evening to go on an evening game drive- so true to our word we got revenge! We switched all their tents around! When they came back it was hilarious watching them try an fathom out what had happened!
We went to bed early after a ginormous feast of food (three courses!!) and decided to keep the side flaps on the tent open. The boys the night before has said they had seen a hippo wandering about in the early morning. We didn't want to miss out so kept the flaps up and our ear plugs out. We didn't have to wait long- it was like something out of a nightmare! Me and Jo sat bolt upright in the tent both at the same time. First there was a really load chomping noise, then came the shadow, growing bigger and bigger every second. It was a ginormous hippo!!! And we have seen a fair few, so we know it was a whopper!!! It came closer and closer until it was literally touching our tent. Me and Jo both held our breaths, mouthing profanities, not daring to move in case it decided it wanted to join us in bed. Jo tried to film it, but startled it a little. It just raised its head and looked straight at us through the tent. My heart was in my mouth and I thought we were done for!! Until it returned to chomping the grass again really loudly. I know people exaggerate but it was literally touching our tent it was that close- super scary but such an incredible experience!!
We're off to Malawi in the morning for some beach time at lake Malawi!
Both hungry hippos as we post this- not trampled on by a hippo! Lauren and Jo


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb