Camping Safari: Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe), Botswana and northern South Africa


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana
January 23rd 2013
Published: January 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

What an adventure! From January 6-18, Tom and I were down in the southern hemisphere of Africa, "overlanding" with Africa Travel Company (ATC) from Vic Falls to Jo'burg--meaning we travelled in a 23-passenger truck, pitched and slept in tents (often in the rain because it was the rainy season down there), and ate outdoors, helping the cook and cleaning up afterwards. The other members of the group were mostly young Aussies and New Zealanders who'd actually started in Nairobi and gone through Tanzania and Malawi. Our guide was a Belgian; the driver and cook were South African. ATC provided the transport, the food, and the tents; we brought along our own sleeping bags and air mattresses.

We began our journey in Paris on January 4th, flying to Heathrow to catch our overnight British Airways flight to Johannesburg, where we transferred to another BA flight up to Victoria Falls. Here's what we saw during the next 12 days: First magnificent Victoria Falls, which are situated between Zimbabwe and Sambia. They are one of the Seven Nautral Wonders of the World and were named by David Livingstone. After two nights camping near the park (it was raining, so we actually "upgraded" from a tent to a cabin those first two nights!), we set off for Botswana and Chobe National Park, where we went on a game drive and then a boat curise along the river. After one night there, we drove on to Maun, where we camped another night. Then we drove to the Okavango Delta and embarked on the waterways in Mokoros (dug out canoes), letting our "polers" point out the birdlife and flora en route to our island campsite. It was hot and dry in the Delta area, which made camping in tents very enjoyable. After two nights and three days in the Delta, we drove a long distance to the small town of Palapye, where we camped overnight and got a bit wet during a thunder storm. From there we crossed into South Africa and joined the "panorama route" through the lush green mountains and the impressive Blyde River Canyon. Another long drive and we arrived at the famous Kruger Natioonal Park, which we visited over two days. Our campground was quite a ways from the Park entrance down a long bumpy and dusty road. The first night was warm and hot; but the second day it started to rain about noon and didn't stop all afternoon and evening. Most of our tents leaked, so we got pretty wet, but this didn't stop us from seeing a lot of animals and having a good time. Kruger is really an amazing park. I was so happy to see lions and a leopard! Following our stay at Kruger, we drove to a packbackers' lodge on the outskirts of Jo'burg where we stayed another two nights. On one of the following days, Tom and I went on a tour to both Soweto and Jo'burg's Apartheid Museum. On the second day, we walked down the road from the backpackers' lodge to a children's home. We wanted to do this because we had brought along some school supplied and wanted to donate them to the children there. The place is very modest and not very well kept up, but the people who run it are very devoted to the children, who were sweet and well-behaved. I really enjoyed being with them. The little ones pulled me over to a ledge, made me sit down and climbed up on my lap. You could tell them just love being cuddled and held.

I hope you enjoy the photos (there are aboutr 100 uploaded here, and I have many more.). It was a rugged but fun trip. We only visited a very small part of Africa, but we came away with a feel of this vast continent and saw a lot of wildlife and beautiful landscapes. (I particularly liked the landscapes in the Okavango Delta). We also had some interesting adventures along the way.


Additional photos below
Photos: 98, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Hk in front of Victoria Falls HotelHk in front of Victoria Falls Hotel
Hk in front of Victoria Falls Hotel

Just for fun, Tom and I went for a drink here. It was so nice out on their terrace with a view of the Falls in the distance that we decided to stay for dinner--our one "treat" like this during the whole trip. Otherwise, it was camping fare.


25th January 2013

greetings from sf
Sounds great, beautiful pix. Can't wait to hear more.
25th January 2013

wow!
What a great itinerary. I did the pretoria, drakenberg mountain, kruger via swaziland trip in reverse order and the Joberg, soweto and overland drive to kruger part. South Africa is quite different from the rest of Africa so now you need to do either west or central africa to get a feel for the continent. I especially enjoyed Tanzania and the animals herding on the serengeti. Bravo
25th January 2013

Glad you're having fun -we are stuck here in the snow!
29th January 2013

Great stuff
As always thoroughly enjoyed it (even if I have seen you both since). Hope we make it there one day. The people, the animals and the scenery are all memorable it seems. Hugs, PJ
30th January 2013

Hillary, the pictures are magnificent! I had a room mate who traveled to Victoria Falls and for years, whenever she talked about the Falls, she started crying remembering them.
30th January 2013

I love the Zulu earrings! If you have room for a couple of pairs of the round ones, I'll buy them from you. Can't buy them around here. I have an orange and a green pair. We went to SA 3 years ago. Petted lion cubs. We didn't get to Victoria Falls though.
18th June 2013

camping safari tour
Looks as though you had an incredible time and what a way to do it in those big over lander vehicles. I am looking forward to my up coming camping safari tour.
26th June 2014

safarihub
Collection of pictures is magnificient and I loved it. I hope to travel Africa one day or the other and make it as a memorable one.

Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb