Punta Arenas


Advertisement
South America
January 29th 2014
Published: February 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

With absolutely no idea of our next destination (other than heading north), we sat down and googled away for inspiration and ideas. With a little help from a German fellow traveller, we decided to head to the Chilean Lake District town of Pucon, on the promise of lots of fun and adventure. Now to get there....

Once again faced with the option of a bum numbing bus journey of 40 hours (including two border crossings) or a far simpler albeit more expensive short (5hrs) bus and flight. We opted for the short bus and flight option and after a somewhat traumatic booking process we were sorted and on our way to Punta Arenas where we would catch our flight from. As we had to catch our flight from Punta Arenas anyway, we decided to stop over for a couple of days and take the chance see what the local area had to offer.

Upon arriving to Punta Arenas, we headed straight to the local tourist office where we quickly realised the place was pretty much all about Penguins! So the next morning we headed off to Magdalana Island; a two hour boat ride each way in order to spend one hour on the island..."this better be worth it", we both thought to ourselves! Thankfully our sea legs held out, and after a relaxing two hour journey, we could already see and hear some of the apparent 300,000 penguins who call the island home for the summer months. With the Patagonian winds giving us a right good display we headed a shore for a good old gander at these odd little birds.

With designated paths and walkways for viewing and plenty of "do not cross" signs we were a little a little disappointed that we were not able to roam where we wished, however in hindsight it did make sense as the island is their breeding grounds. Nevertheless, it was still a great experience which provided impressive views of an incredibly baron and remote island crawling with nothing but penguins.

Frozen to the bone and looking forward to a sarnie and hot drink, we jump backed aboard and headed back to port.

After an incredible two weeks in Patagonia (Chile & Argentina) it was finally time to head up to warmer climes and hopefully dump the fleece and waterproofs for a while...or was it?!?!?


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb