The floating Islands


Advertisement
South America
January 27th 2010
Published: February 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We wanted to do something special for Erics birthday so we decided to spend it on the islands of Lake Titicaca. We took a night bus to Puno then were off on a two day tour of the island. The first island that we stopped at was Uros. This was a collection of floating island made of reeds. They created these islands by putting thousands of reeds on top of each other to create a surface to build houses on. It was very interesting to see how these people live. The next island we went to was Taquile where we stayed the night. We stayed with a family here in little shacks with no electricity and mud floors. We ate our dinner by candle light. That night the town was having a little festival so Eric and I got dressed up in traditional clothing and was off to the festival. There was a traditional Peruvian band playing and our host mother showed us the traditional dance. It was a good way to spend a birthday. The next day we went to the last island called Amantani. We walked around this island and had lunch here. Next we headed back to the city only to find the Macchu Picchu was going to be closed for a couple of months so all of our hope in going there was lost.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



6th February 2010

Happy birthday Eric...keep up with the beautiful pictures I'm enjoying them and your story Kathy
29th April 2010

Thanks Kathy

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb