Peru, part one


Advertisement
South America
May 10th 2009
Published: May 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Next we headed north, flying from Buenos Aires to Lima in Peru. Immediately you could see the difference between the two countries. A lot more underdeveloped, and cheaper,although not by much. We stayed in a nice spot called Barranco, near Miraflores, south of Lima central. First thing we did was find somewhere to try the national drink of choice, a Pisco Sour, a mix of Pisco (local brandy), lemon juice and egg whites. Having had a great experience (and a few hangovers) from our previous countries (Capirinihas in Brazil & Red Wine in Argentina) we expected great things....let’s just say we haven’t had one since.

I managed to get a surf in at Miraflores by the Pier. The sea was disgusting and pretty cold, but still managed boardies and a neoprene top. The next day was maxed out pretty much everywhere around Lima, but it seemed like a pretty good setup.

We also visited Lima central which had great architecture and strangely loads of police hanging around. Now being very careful of what we ate, having heard so many stories of upset stomachs in this part of the world. So first thing we had was a weird chicken, with half cooked potatoes and a suspect looking creamy sauce......stomach updates to follow......

Next we headed to Arequipa, a 17 hour bus journey south. At a height of XXXXm, it was a good transition to acclimatise to the higher altitude we would experience in Peru. We stayed for a day and visited an Inca Mummy. They used to sacrifice small girls to stop volcanoes going off....go figure. They would bury them at the top of a snow capped mountain with lots of gold, textile and pottery offerings to their Gods. We also visited a Monastery (so big it’s a city within a city) and met Santa selling sweets in the street.

Next stop Cusco, for our 5 day trek to Macchu Picchu.

Iola - I’m in a strop because I lost some really good/important pictures from the camera so Steve is writing this one while I try and get over it!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

SantaSanta
Santa

Sometimes he wears a green suit apparently! He also beat up some locals who were giving some travellers a hard time - he's a legend!!


12th May 2009

niiiiiice
nice blog stevo, iola really should try harder ;-) ... sorry to hear about the pics :-(

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb