Cuenca Foundation


Advertisement
South America
April 12th 2007
Published: November 30th -0001
Edit Blog Post

Another holiday from school - on day for Cuenca Foundation and one for 'Day of the Teacher'! Lou and I had a relaxed morning going around Cuenca (seems ridiculous we live here but have barely seen the town). We walked to the craft market (after getting very lost for ages) where I bought a hand carved matching sugar bowl and honey pot complete with miniature spoons. Yes, I know I won't need them for university but they are very pretty! We then went into the Cathedral and sat down before realising they were in the middle of mass so we couldn't really leave. Had to sit there, give to the collection (which was brought round by a nun using a long handled fishing net thing!) and try to say the Lord's Prayer in very bad Spanish. We have to learn it anyway as it is said everyday at school. Escaped and went for ice cream next door before practically running home for lunch.

We did technically have the day off but we decided to go to the orphanage in the afternoon anyway which was great. The Americans were trying to learn 'British' accents (I've given up telling them there's no such thing) but amazingly enough they all ended up with actually quite reasonable Cockney accents. Weird! Had a good afternoon before going home to get ready for the evening. There was a salsa concert in the main plaza that night so me and Louisa get there only to find the stage has collapsed so it was postponed and there are walls of police separating all the corners of the square so you can't get from one to another unless you walk around the whole block. We did this trying to get to the front of the Cathedral where we were meeting everybody only to find we couldn't. Slightly scary as the crowd was getting very restless and the police wall kept herding us in closer and we got stuck in the middle. Very glad when we realised it was because the President was there for the Foundation and not because there was going to be a riot or demonstration or something!

Finally managed to get around to the other side of the square and met the others before going to 'El Nopal' for food before me and Lou actually had to go home as our parents are starting to nag us about always being out.

Advertisement



18th April 2007

Ditzy sister!
Only you could wander into the middle of mass and not realise it! How is your atheism holding up with all these Catholics??!! Your American 'friends' managed Cockney accents? Quite impressive from people who thought you and Lou both had the same 'posh accent'. So if you are slowly catching Lou's Sheffield accent does that mean she's adopting yours? I'm not sure we'll recognise you at all when you come home speaking Spanish with a Sheffield accent!!!
18th April 2007

What fishing in church?
What's this about fishing in church. Is this a new hobby? How's the Lord's Prayer going? Of course they blocked off the main square when they knew you were coming to town!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb