Choroní and The Holidays


Advertisement
Venezuela's flag
South America » Venezuela
January 7th 2015
Published: January 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Puerto ColombiaPuerto ColombiaPuerto Colombia

A town with really adorable colonial architecture.
This was my first Christmas on the beach and it was so wonderful. We spent our time relaxing, swimming and eating. Sophia, Kyle and I stayed in Puerto Colombia, a small, bustling town on the coast. Most days we walked the 10 minutes to Playa Grande, an expansive, packed beach to play paddle ball in the sand, swim with the huge waves, or suntan. A couple times we took a small boat to quieter beaches in the area. One day we walked through the cocao forest from Chuao beach to the pueblo to find locally made, artisan chocolate.

On Christmas, we relaxed at the beach and had Hallaca, beef and a bunch of other goodies inside maize and wrapped in a banana leaf. A beautiful Venezuelan family that was staying at our hostel made us plates of potato salad, steak and Hallaca. It reminds me of a Mexican tamale.

For NewYears, we walked to the boardwalk of Puerto Colombia and watched as families light colorful laterns and people of all ages let off too loud fireworks in the middle of crowed areas. Everyone was so happy, it was hard not to join in on the celebration.

One of
Kyle and SophiaKyle and SophiaKyle and Sophia

Kyle spent a few days in his beach chair he made in the sand.
the last days of our trip we hiked through Parque National Henrí Pittier. We swam in clear blue river water, jumped off a high rock into the water, and searched for colorful birds and plants.

Overall, Choroní was an amazing experience. It was my favorite coastal city that we visited in Venezuela. Next, we are off to the mountains of Merida.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Playa GrandePlaya Grande
Playa Grande

We would walk all the way to the end of the beach so that we didn't have to be by the crowds.
My sister and I My sister and I
My sister and I

We walked to the top of a cliff, overlooking the ocean and the whole town of Puerto Colombia. It was beautiful.
Christmas dinnerChristmas dinner
Christmas dinner

Hallaca, potato salad and beef.
New Years EveNew Years Eve
New Years Eve

The lanterns were so fun, yet a little dangerous if the wind didn't catch them just right.
Parque National Henri PittierParque National Henri Pittier
Parque National Henri Pittier

This was the most exercise we have had in 5 weeks!


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb