Lost in Choroni


Advertisement
Venezuela's flag
South America » Venezuela
August 20th 2009
Published: August 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Following the guide book´s recommendation of an isolated beach near Choroni, we decided to visit it instead of the more popular and the more easily accessible playa de grande.

We arrived here after a four day diving trip to Los Roques Islands and the change in setting and scenery is drastic. Choroni is a small colonial town with little tourist infrastructure which can be a curse and blessing at the same time. It is 2 km from the coastal town of Puerto Colombia. It is located in the Henry Pittier national park. The park is known for it´s loud forest and variety of bird species and the highest peak ranges around 6000 feet. It is the northern extension of the Andes.

On day one we decided to explore the guide book recommended, isolated beach, playa de Diario. We only took 1.5 liter of water after reading the guide book directions of 1 hour walk from the city. I have to admit that my wise travelling partner strongly recommended more, 3 to 4 bottles, to be precise.

As we ventured out we eventually found the trail and but forgot to take the right turn to the beach after 15 min walk as was written in the guide book. So we kept on walking searching for the promised beach. The scenery on the way became more spectacular as we went along. We found ourselves on the side of a large hill facing the ocean, and the trial was at time covered entirely with lush plants. Butterflys of amazing colors were abundant and chose to fly in the trail and then disappear into the thick woods.

We walked for a total of two hours until the trail ended and only then realized that we must have missed the trail down. Having started the trek at 10 am it was 1230 by the time we turned around and the heat was almost intolerable. Yet the promise of that swim in the isolated beach kept us going. Finally on the way back we found the trail but decided to return the next day and spend the whole day there.

The trail down was the easiest part of the trek. Within five minutes we found ourselves at the mouth of the trail facing the sea.
The beach was completely isolated and was a right combination of a sandy stretch of about 100 yards and rocks on the edges, all in small alcove.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb