Roraima - the next trip


Advertisement
Venezuela's flag
South America » Venezuela » Guayana » La Gran Sabana
October 13th 2007
Published: October 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well we spent a few days relaxing at Posada Calista just outside of Cuidad Bolivar. They did great breakfasts and dinners and there was a pool to cool off in. Had a very relaxing time there. A woman that works there called the Posada we are in now (Posada Backpacker) in Santa Elena to arrange rooms for us. She also got one of the staff to get our bus tickets for us.

So on the 11th we got on the night bus for Santa Elena. It left at 8pm and we were asleep quite quickly. At about 10.45pm we were woken by a soldier with a gun asking for our passports. The rest of the bus was empty - everybody else had got off. We got off the bus and had to have our bags checked and show our passports. It seemed like only the non-Venezuelans were having their backs looked at. This was us and 2 Brazilians. After a few minutes we were back on the bus and on our way again. Just after midnight we were woken again, but this time we woke with everyone else. We all had to get off the bus and form 2 queues, one for men and one for women. We then had to show our passports before getting on the bus and we were on our way yet again.

About 5am ish the bus stopped again, but this time the soldier came on the bus and looked at our passports without us having to get off the bus. A much better idea. Our final checkpoint was at about 8am ish. This time we had to empty our rucksacks for them to check the contents. The soldier that was doing the mens bags took his job very seriously as Chris and Miles had to completely empty their rucksacks, whereas Mandy and I only half emptied ours. We eventually got to Santa Elena about 9.30am ish and had our passports checked before being allowed into the bus terminal.

We got a cab to the Posada had breakfast and a hot shower (the first hot shower for over a week) then booked our trip to Roraima.

We are going on Monday morning for a 5 night - 6 day trip walking up Roraima which is 2800 meters tall. It is the highest point in Venezuela and we will be camping in tents. We have to carry our own clothes, sleeping bags and sleeping mats. There are only the four of us (plus guides and porters) so we can go at our own pace. We have been told that it could be cold so to take all of our warm clothes with us.

So my next post will include details of our second trip, including photos!





Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1098s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb