Good luck Gnocchis


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay
January 29th 2012
Published: February 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

1-29-12 Sunday

After a quick morning in the winery we were off the rest of the day to relax. Since today is the 29th we were told of this tradition that they only celebrate here in Uruguay. Every 29th of the month you have to eat gnocchi’s because it is good luck. The story goes that in Italy a saint was traveling through the countryside when he stopped at a house to ask for food and shelter. The couple that owned the house was very poor but prepare him gnocchi and let him stay the night. In return the saint gave the couple money and went on his way. Thus starting the tradition on eating gnocchi’s on this day every month. But again this tradition is only here, not in Italy where is supposedly originated. So today Francisco’s wife and friends will go to town and get the gnocchi and we sent Ori along with them to do some more shopping. The remainder of the day was spent near the pool. I finished my first book, which was amazing, and napped until the gnocchi’s were ready. They were prepared in a tomato sauce with peppers and onions and a side of braised lamb that was slaughtered that morning on the farm. The key to this fun little tradition is to place a peso under your plate while you are eating the gnocchi’s and then you will have good luck good fortune. After dinner we stayed inside because again it was a very hot day.



At six Thomas went to get the rest of the lamb that was prepared on the grill, it was rubbed with rosemary and lime juice and set to cook over the coals. The lamb took 5 hours to cook fully in this time we played generale and a few more rounds of asshole, which has quickly become a favorite around here. The lamb was ready by 11pm. I was so hungry I instantly devoured it without thought; similar to the way Bentley eats any scraps given to him. It was the second helping that I actually tasted the meat and savored it. It was juicy and decadent, and paired perfectly with the tannat that it was served with. We had a horizontal tasting of Tannat, a 2009 Juan Carrau, 2010 Castel Pujul, and 2008 Bodegas Carrau Reserva. All were delicious but very different from each other. Two of which were only served in the domestic market, which I was told prefers young wine that is drinkable with food, the market here prefers a cheaper wine which is why Bodegas Carrau sells the reservas to other markets around the world. By the time we were all finished with dinner the stars were bright and we all took to the courtyard with a guitar to finish the wine and sing some Bob Marley.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb