Proving that Old Wifes are in the know once again


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay » West
October 14th 2008
Published: October 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Warning Note: To those of a frail or nervous dispossition please be aware that the author of this artical is a bit of an idiot when it comes to injurying himself (Yes it was me, Nic is quite sensible and hence safe). And while this injury has all the spectatular appearance deserving of the most tremendous of cockups, he is to all intents and purposes quiet safe. His elbow still hurts a bit though.


It´s rare that one gets to take on the wisdom of the ages and prove just how right it can be. But once again in our quest to invalidate our comprehensive travel policy one of us was given just that chance. This time took place in perhaps the most peaceful of surroundings. A place that, if Montevideo can be considered quiet, is positively comatosed. A glorious weekend spent eating cake, drinking tea and living life on a 19th century Estancia - without all that pesky farm work to tire us out of course.

One of the most gratifying parts of this life, apart from the copious quanties of meat, is of course the long afternoons spent exploring the hills and drinking in the view from the back of a fine Uruguayan horse. The Caballos (that´s Spanish) in this part of the world are particularly strong, tough and fast and prove more than capable of carrying a portly Guacho long into the twilight hours.

They are also capable of going fast, very fast.

A little too fast perhaps ...

And so the soothsayers have it again - ´When you get viciously and callously thrown from a speeding horse, you get straight back on´. Yip that´s right, no matter how painful, debilitating or humiliating one must jump sraight back on and demonstrate with poise and skill that the previous mishap was not a true representation of their riding ability. However, I´m not entirely sure that they had fully rendered just how complex this situation could be before dispensing their words of wisdom. Failing of course to take into account the deeper ramifications that falling off can have on the horse. Or more importantly what happens when that horse subsequently decides to run head first into an electric fence. For as you see falling off a horse once can be unfortuantely, but falling off twice in 5 minutes will cause a person to be forced to commit immediate Seppuku - not plesent with a rusty Guacho knife.

Thankfully disaster was narrowly avoided and a short sharp shock of 200V up the horses backside had the opposite effect. Calming the once savage beast who, short from a little frothing at the mouth, was instantly transformed into the picture of dressage perfection.

Still it was definetly a good idea that we stick to cheese making the next day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0681s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb