Final week in Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay » West » Colonia del Sacramento
October 7th 2008
Published: October 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

With no school this week we are a little bit lost. On Monday we go to the park for a bit and read some guide books before deciding to go over the River Plate to Uruguay on Tuesday for a couple of days.

We get up early to go to the bus terminal and buy a ticket over on the slow boat (3 hours) at 9am, returning the next day at 8pm on the fast boat (1 hour), the slow boat is good on the way over as there are some great views from the deck of Buenos Aires. When we arrive the sun is out, we pick up a map and walk towards our hostel. The streets are very picturesque, quiet and it´s pleasantly warm. It feels like we´re on holiday ! The hostel is basic but clean and cheap, although Jenny isn´t too happy about it.

We go for a walk around the small old town and stop for a very nice lunch and a jug of sangria, after this I take a well deserved and obligatory nap on a bench. We then walk back to the hostel and have another small nap on an inviting patch of grass, back at the hostel we conclude the napping. Probably won´t drink so much at lunch again. We then get up and take some pictures of the fantastic sunset before going out for a small snack. Unfortunately I end up ordering the most ridiculous amount of food I have ever seen fit on one plate (even Geoff Capes would struggle with this). The waitress laughs at my inability to eat it (and hide bits of it under other bits).

The next day we hire bikes and cycle 5km down the coast to see an interesting but derelict leisure complex and lounge about on the lovely beach. We then cycle back and enjoy a well deserved steak lunch at a place we saw the previous day. We try and cycle a bit more after this but soon give it up and take the bikes back. The lady at the hire place points and laughs at my sun burnt face (at least I´m providing some entertainment), we then hang around before getting the boat back.

On Friday and over the weekend we say goodbye to the people we´ve met over the last 4 weeks. A lot of people seem to be moving on at a similar time. We buy our bus tickets to Salta in the North West of Argentina (20 hour journey) where we plan to spend the following week or so.

On our last night in Buenos Aires we go the the famous ´La Cabrera´ steak house. It is famous for a reason. We order the full portion of Bife de Chorizo which is enough to share between us. It is definitely the biggest piece of meat I have ever seen and doesn´t actually come on a plate, rather a big wooden board. It tastes amazing with the Rutini malbec we splash out on and this time there is no laughing when the waiter comes to take it away.

Where are the pictures you may ask ? Well I always put them on picasa first (as it´s easier and faster) and then put them on here. However as we are now on the road I don´t have as much time on a computer so I think I´ll just link to the picasa pictures for now. I may put them on here as well when I have more time.

http://picasaweb.google.com/phy7tes/Uruguay

http://picasaweb.google.com/phy7tes/Argentina_BuenosAires

Advertisement



14th October 2008

Dulce de Leche !!
We're really enjoying looking at all the photies (an' the ones on Picasa). The food looks really good but the Dulce de Leche.....is that caramel..looks amazing (slaver). Love from us all.

Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb