Colonia, Uruguay


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay » West » Colonia del Sacramento
March 11th 2007
Published: March 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After yet another 2 hour bus ride (it seems to take 2 hours to get everywhere around here!) we arrive in Colonia and settle in to the worst "hotel" so far - with a bathroom so small you have to put your feet in the shower when you sit on the loo!

Again, we don´t have much time here so arrange to hire scooters for a couple of hours so we can see what Colonia has to offer. A good choice, as we are rewarded with stunning views out to sea. Further along the coastal road we come across the remains of a disused bullring - a most imposing structure, like a miniature coliseum.
We then visit a small craft market where we purchase our first souvenir - a matté cup and straw (matté is a type of tea infusion that is drunk by nearly all the locals: they are so "hooked" on it they even carry special bags for their thermos flasks so they can top up their "brew" throughout the day).

Once our 2 hours are up we return the scooters and take a stroll around the old town, which is pedestrianised. We climb up the light-house and get spectacular views from the top - including being able to see Buenos Aires across the river as the day is so clear. We both agree that Colonia is a very beautiful and tranquil town, with its cobbled streets and colourful buildlings - perfect for a days relaxation.

In the evening we get some good news from our tour leader (José): we were going to have to get up at 3.30am the next day to catch the ferry to Buenos Aires, but he has managed to get a deal on the tickets for the catamaran, which is much faster, and we don´t need to leave ´til 9ish! HURRAH!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb