Tacuarembo, Uruguay


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay » North » Tacuarembó
March 31st 2009
Published: May 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tacuarembo is a quiet, traditional, gaucho farm town in northern Uruguay which also happens to be the birthplace of the lengendary Tango singer Carlos Gardel. Chrissy and I were on our way to the Pangea Estancia to work as ranch hands. We enjoyed the pleasant little town for 4 days and got to know the owners of all 3 local restraunts and its only internet cafe very well! We were later informed that 4 days is the longest any gringo has ever stayed in Tacuarembo! haha This was the first time on the trip that we were forced to relax. Businesses started their day around 8am and by 11:30 they were closing their doors for a seista that lasted until 5 pm! By 9 o´clock in the evening we were the only two still awake. Quite a change from the midnight dinners only a day before in Argentina! We also enjoyed watching the locals zip around on their scooters and motorcycles where they would squeeze up to 4 people on the motorcycles while carrying groceries, sipping mate (a local coffee drink) and talking on a cell phones...it was pretty entertaining.

John then discovered his love for Milanesa Carne. 😉



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb