Road trip in Uruguay 19th to 23rd May


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay » East » Punta del Este
May 25th 2008
Published: July 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We don´t know how the idea of a road trip got in our head, but after checking out the cost of hiring a car in Uruguay ($57 a day - but you get th 22%!V(MISSING)AT back!) we decided to spend a few days driving along the Uruguayan coast.

It's all very well renting a car - but which way are we going?
By complete luck (although Adam claims that it was his planning), we had a bit of a heat wave whilst we were on our drive. Score. Driving along palm-tree lined roads next to white sandy beaches is not as much fun in the rain.

Open road - this is the way to see Uraguay
We thought that we´d be able to find a campsite or two to spend the night - boy were we wrong! Despite it being 25 degrees, all of the campsites in Uruaguay were closed and when we asked in petrol stations about it, they looked at us as if we were crazy wanting to camp in autumn. Strange people. It did mean that we kinda ended up squatting in a national park come military base one night .... not such a smart move. It did mean that we finally got to use the tent that weve been carrying around for four months though!

Camping....

... wasn't very sucessful.
Sadly four days of driving is all that our budget could stretch to, so it was back to Montevideo and goodbye car. Strange how quickly you get used to not walking everywhere...

Stunningly-beautiful rugged coastline.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb