A few things you may not have known about Caucasus,Georgia


Advertisement
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands' flag
South America » South Georgia » South Georgia
February 7th 2014
Published: February 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

What do you know about Caucasus, Georgia? Do you know anything of its History or the customs of its people, its landscape or local cuisines? Do you even know where it is? I have to admit, I wasn’t totally sure myself. Situated at the border of Europe and Asia, this unique chunk of land is bordered by Russia to the north and Turkey to the south.

This region of the Caucasus is a unique place with a rich history and incredible natural beauty. Although generally given little attention by Western travellers in the past, people are starting to open their eyes to what Georgia has to offer. It’s a good time to visit Georgia while flight paths are starting to open up and the region is still relatively tourist-free. Here are a few things you might not have known about Georgia to help you make the most of your trip.

The Legend of Tsibili

Located on the banks of the Mtkvari river and overlooked by the Trialeti mountain range the charming town of Tsibili has its own whimsical fable, one you might not read about in any Caucasus mountains travel guide. According to legend, Tsibili came into being sometime in the 5th century thanks to King Vakhtang Gorgasali. While travelling in the region of the then un-named Tsibili, King Gorgasali shot a pheasant that fell into one of the cities warm springs. Miraculously, the pheasant was healed and came back to life leading the king to proclaim Tsibili as a sacred land.

Tsibili’s Old Town

Tsibili is one of the capital cities of the Caucasus region and boasts many beautiful attractions including ancient churches, winding cobbled streets, Sameba Cathedral and Central-Asian sulphur baths. During its long and turbulent history this part of the town has been attacked almost thirty times during periods of conflict and yet its overall layout remains intact. As well as the threat from aggressors, time has played a part in the ruin of the city and the once-great Narikala Fortress stands out as a majestic, crumbling monument to former grandeur.

Svaneti

The entire region of Svaneti located high up in the mountains of north western Georgia is a UNESCO world heritage site and it’s not hard to see why it has been granted this special status. Consult a Caucasus Mountains travel guide for more on the geography of the region. The people of Svaneti are known as fierce and brave; even the Soviets failed to invade and take control of this area. Svaneti is a mysterious place, typified by its complex polyphonic singing customs and traditional dances dating back to over two thousand years.

Gori

While undeniably a somewhat drab place, Gori has one considerable claim to historic fame as it is the birthplace of Joseph Stalin. While most of Gori’s inhabitants will be inclined to play down their connection to this infamous dictator, there is a sense of pride at being the birthplace of a man who had such an impact on the world. On Stalin Avenue you will find a museum dedicated to Stalin’s life, you can visit the man’s personal train car and birthplace and see one of the world’s best-preserved Stalin statues.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb