Travel tips to Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » Central
January 9th 2014
Published: January 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

A visit to Cambodia can be quite the mixed bag. When a country’s historical experience oscillates between its era of Ankorian temples and the horror of the reign of the Khmer Rouge, it results in the poverty stricken and volatile state the country has seen in the recent past. Despite these juxtapositions, the allure of Angkor Wat and the capital city of Pnomh Penh is so great that it has transformed dusty little towns to the dazzling tourist magnets that we see today. A trip to Cambodia can be a lot of fun, if you know what to expect! The best Cambodia travel guidesyou advise you on the following traits of this budding economy:

1. Despite their formidable reputation owing to the country’s violent past, Cambodians are a rather pleasant race. A majority of locals are Buddhists who practice generosity, kindness and thoughtfulness. The most important factor for a tourist, Cambodians believe in being honest, and the country does not enjoy the same reputation as some of its neighbors when it comes to pulling off scams on unsuspecting visitors.

2. Cambodia beats its reputation of being in the back of beyond where procuring basic necessities becomes an issue. Almost everything is available in Cambodia. Though travelers should take the local advantage and live the local Cambodian experience, but if need be supermarkets stock most western essentials. From your favourite ice cream flavour to fantastic hairdressers, it is all there.

3. Keep a handy stash of US dollars. Though the country uses its own currency, the USD is also universally accepted; rather it is the currency of choice. But remember to carry a supply of single bills at all times, because tuk-tuk drivers very conveniently are always short of change. ATMs can be found in most of the larger cities but smaller towns invariably do not have even one ATM. While moving from one location to the next, organize your finances so that you are not left high and dry.

4. Cambodia is hot. Most of the year sees one of two seasons – hot or hot and rainy. Be prepared for torrents of rain, accompanied by thunder and lightening, which cease as suddenly as it starts. The ‘cool’ weather is during a brief period of November to February, when the temperature drops to the low 20s.

5. Cambodia is not the type of country where everything goes as planned. Be prepared for things to go wrong – and by that we mean anything from power outages to stomach bugs and public transport that runs behind schedule. Even the occasional tuk-tuk driver can surprise you by losing his way. The best way to survive these contingencies is with patience and dose of good humor.

Other than these tips, there are a few basics that every tourist should keep in mind when traveling to a foreign country. Be sensitive to the feelings of locals, respect them and their culture. Have a go at the local language; it will take you a long way. Smiles will appear, invitations for meals will pour in and doors to homes will open – all because you managed to bridge the language gap. You will also manage some good shopping bargains in the process. Do not litter or deface sites and monuments – this is a crime in most countries. Refrain from discussing politics with locals – though some people may enjoy the stimulus of a good argument, mostly personal views about the politics of a host country are not appreciated. Try your best to maximize your local experience by getting familiar with the place, the people and especially the local cuisine – most countries have the option of western cuisine, but the joy of authentic grub is what makes a trip special!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb