Published: August 28th 2012August 28th 2012
As we’re writing this, we’ve only got a few hours left before our flight back to England! So in a few words (this is going to be hard, there is so much to say!), how do we feel about it?
What a freakin’ awesome experience!
I know it sounds cheesy but for both of us, this year has been without a doubt the best year of our lives. In the last couple of weeks, lots of images and emotions, encounters and landscapes have been going through our heads. 15 countries in nearly a year, you can’t help but relive the whole trip in your head again and again; it’s full of emotions and discoveries, it’s beautiful and this whole patchwork of memories will live with us for a long time to come. And luckily we managed to spend pretty much 24 hours a day together most of the time without killing each other!
But this is not the end and this trip has certainly given us an appetite for more travels so watch this space!
Some highlights are:
• The night sky in the Indian desertThe Taj Mahal at dawn
• Our 2 week trek around the Annapurnas in Nepal
• Our own slice of paradise on a deserted beach on the Cambodian island of Koh RongStaying with the locals in LaosChilling on the beach around Christmas in Tonsai, Thailand
• A messy new year in Singapore with our mates from back home Slat, Brig and Shuv followed by a mother*cking boat to Langkawi, MalaysiaCruising down the Aussie coast in our campervan
• The rugged landscapes in New Zealand, especially Mount CookJumping out of a plane over Fox’s Glacier in New ZealandPartying like crazy in Santiago and Valparaiso, Chile with our mate DamoInsane rock formations in Northern ArgentinaThe largest salt flats in the world in Uyuni, BoliviaOur 10 day trek dense into the Bolivian AmazonThe mighty Machu Picchu, PeruOur mind-bending shamanic ceremony in Tarapoto, PeruA magical sunrise on Laguna Limoncocha, Ecuador with Ori’s dad and sisterWatching whales leap into the air, right before our eyes, in Puerto Lopez, EcuadorBeing surrounded by bright snowy peaks in Cordillera Blanca, PeruFinishing in style in a five star hotel in Lima, Peru!
…and that’s just a handful! The list could go on and on!
Can’t wait to be back home!
All in all, we’re delighted to come back home – these last couple of days have felt like an eternity! We’ve been thinking about our coming back a lot during the last couple of weeks and we really cannot wait to see you all – we’ve missed you all so much! That’s not to say that we didn’t enjoy our travels until the last minute. But just that when you see the end coming, you can’t help but start visioning how things are going to be back home and we just see it like another adventure, another challenge, and we cannot wait to bite into it!
I think this trip has also made us realise how much we love home. Although the routine of boulot metro dodo, (to use a french expression – work, commute, sleep) can sometimes be boring and a bit of a drag; and although we do live in a capitalist and materialistic world where time is money and things seem sometimes impersonal, it’s not all that bad when you
see how some people live in some parts of the world. We have freedom and comfort, and a government that does generally try to be fair to its people; this is not given to everybody. Of course you don’t need to go and travel the world to work this out but it definitely helps to put things back in perspective.
Lots of things to look forward to:
The first one’s got to be SKATE of course! And be the winners of the world more than ever!
• See everybody, family and friends, and catch up on what’s been going on for the last year –meet all the babies and the fiancés – we see you guys have been busy too!A bath! Or at least a consistently hot shower! And not one where you see the electrical leads above your head, this is just crazy!
• Not having to pack that bloody backpack every few days and get a bit of variety in the wardrobe!
• To stop carrying toilet paper everywhere as if it’s a valuable commodity! And to be able to throw it in the toilets!Comfortable buses and trains and no more 36h journeys!
• A fresh pint of cider, Cadbury’s Curly Wurly’s, fish and chips, English brekkie, CHEESE! No more rice and potatoes. Please!
• We are going to regret this but using our brains at work is also something we’re looking forward to!
• Match of the Day!
• To have our own place
Anyway not long to go now until we see you all! Exciting stuff!
Lee and Ori