Chicha and Chong


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
September 9th 2011
Published: September 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in the white city, Arequipa at around 09:30 on Fri 9th and got a hostel near the Plaza des Armas. Took it easy and booked our next bus tickets as well as the Colca Canyon trek starting Sunday.

Saturday went to see Juanita the "Ice Princess" in Museo Sanctuarios Andinos, a 500 year old mummified teenager who was sacrificed at the summet of the Ampato volcano.

Sunday we left at 3am for the Colca trek. Drove to Chivay in the Canyon to have breakfast before going to the Cruz de Condor where you can see the Condor doing their morning rounds. Then we drove to the start point of the trek.

The first day was very hard for us both as it was about midday when we began the main part of the walk and Charlene found it too hot... Stuart was feeling a bit poorly to say the least. So it was nice when we got to the village we were staying in. A cold shower later and we were able to relax in the beautiful surroundings. Stuart and the other two in the group went to the guide's house and had loads of different fruits and saw the way in which the locals live.

The second day was a bit more relaxed as we started walking earlier and were able to stop off in some of the small villages on the way. We got to see a small museum, try some "chicha", beer made of maize, and climb up a 17th Century tower. The walk finished in another little town, this one with a much needed pool in which we were able to relax.

Day 3 of the trek was another early start. Stuart, Adam and Sarah began the walk with Yuly, the guide at 05:00 and Charlene was supposed to saddle up on her mule (who for the purpose of this blog we will call Chong) at 06:00 (although more like 06:30). Stuart and the others strolled up in 2h40 and Charlene managed it in 1h30. After breakfast we visited some more view points and then the hot springs to relax for an hour and soak our muscles. After lunch we went to the highest point we visited of 4900m (very cold), then went to see some Vicuñas before heading home and giving into the temptation of KFC.

On Wednesday we went to the Monasterio d Santa Catalina, a walled nunnery in Arequipa. We got to see lots of the cells that the nuns used to live in and the many kitchens and toilets they seem to have. The nuns still live there but we didn't see where they live. It was a lovely little city within a city. Later in the day we left for Cuzco.

Will update again soon. Off trekking in a couple of days.

xxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 100, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Start of the TrekStart of the Trek
Start of the Trek

Other people in photo are Adam and Sarah.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb