Crossing into Peru - the final part


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
December 26th 2009
Published: February 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Crossing into Peru from Copacabana was by far the worst crossing we did in Latin America!We got loaded on this minibus to take us to the checkpoints but on our way this downpour begun. Once we reached the borders and got our stamps at the Bolivian office we were told that we had to take our rucksacks and walk to the Peruvian side. Under normal circumstances this would have been fine but not when it is raining like crazy and you have a camera to worry about. We basically got lovely wet and then sat for 2 hours on another minibus to take us to Puno (Peru). From there we changed once again, this time to a bus, to get to Arequipa. We arrived in gorgeous white sillar-built Arequipa around 3-4 am and headed to our favourite (from last year) hostal ''Posada del Cacique''.
Arequipa is maybe my favourite city in Peru...it is gorgeous, perfect weather and the inactive El Misti volcano dominates the landscape. The Santa Catalina monastery is a must visit when you are in the city and so is a tour to Colca Canyon - however we had done these last year so this time we just wondered about for 2 days. I have to say that the city had developed greatly since last year, with many more shops, improved pedestrian crossings and generally a more touristic vibe. I think I prefered the Arequipa of our first time with more street vendors and a more indigenous atmosphere.
From there we moved on to Nazca, where the famous Nazca lines were built more than 1000 years ago. These line formations are massive and make up a number of shapes: a monkey, a whale, a humming bird, a condor and many more. The best way to see them is on a small plane - Sara went on one and got some beautiful pictures (me I would probably throw up if I had done it so I left myself out - chicken!).
Our final destination of our 6-month trip was Huaraz, a mecca for trekkers. The place has the highest mountain range in the world after Himalaya - it has more than 100 peaks over 5700 metres. You can basically trek for months in this place. One day we visited the Chavin ruins - the ruins are full of underground tunnels that the priests were using for their ceremonies, but also pilgrims that were coming from all across the Chavin civilisation. As for the road to get there all I would say it is bumpy (make sure you pee before you get going)!
The other day in Huaraz we decided to go for a bit of treking to one of these lakes around the area, Lago Churup. I will not expand on what happened but the end result was: a) we did not make it to the lake because of altitude sickness - the altitude was over 4000 metres, b) we got soaked wet due to afternoon downpours that are guaranteed every afternoon in the wet season and c) we were drying our clothes for the next 2 days. But the experience was great!
After Huaraz we took our last bus to Lima...a sad day! We stayed for a few days there before we took our flight back to London, back to reality and the beginning of a new life chapter. Until the next travel trip!




Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb